jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Which government functions cannot be privatized or shut down?

1. Xenonlit profile image62
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

Which government functions cannot be privatized or shut down?

The repeated mantra of "bring down the government" is becoming downright mindless.

The same people who want to kill our government also want to jump into war every time something flares up in the world. There are some functions that only governments can capitalize, control or carry out.

It is time to identify some of those functions so people understand.

2. ahmed.b profile image76
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

I think Justice, Military, Intelligence and currency printing & valuation, Police are the functions which cannot and should not be privatized .

1. Xenonlit profile image62
      Xenonlitposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I choose the same ones, and Larry, below, has very good reasons why privatized functions need to be avoided. We went way too far with privatizing, did not lower our liability one bit, and have paid far more than ever planned.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Ahmed.b is on the right track. I would add diplomatic service, environmental protection, agriculture and food and drug safety--if we turn everything over to private contractors, who are we going to depend on to watch over them. Also, private contactors will (and it has happened at the state level) claim that their records are not public documents and therefore, will make it even more difficult to uncover corruption and inefficiency.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Only the state department's diplomatic corps, the treasury, and the regulatory agencies could not be privatized. The rest could be managed by "mercenary" civil or military private companies. Should they be?--no. But "should" never enters into the minds of Washington politics.

working