What are some Tips for becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer?

1. J.S.Matthew profile image82
    J.S.Matthewposted 5 years ago

What are some Tips for becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer?

2. Marcy Pursell profile image60
    Marcy Pursellposted 5 years ago

Number one and most important: Be patient. The application process can take a long time and can be frustrating.
    Number two: Try and have some service work on your resume. It's not required, but the people looking at your application will like it.
    Number three: Be willing to just go with the flow. A lot of stuff happens in the beginning and they ask you to be flexible.
    Honestly, I think if you want to become a Peace Corps Volunteer and have the drive to do it, you'll do just fine. I hope that helps! Good luck!

3. livelonger profile image94
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

As an RPCV (returned Peace Corps Volunteer) who completed 2 very rewarding years teaching English overseas, I would say:
    - Be patient during the application process. My application was approved in 3 months, but 6-18 months is actually more common.
    - Set realistic expectations. Culture shock and, frankly, boredom, are two of the biggest challenges when living and functioning in another country. Do not expect that it will be a 2-year thrill ride!
    - Take training seriously. The first 3 months in country are spent learning the local language and learning how to do your job properly. Pay attention, learn the language well, and heed the instructors' advice.
    - Use your experience as a learning opportunity for people back home. Write letters, emails, Hubs (!) about your experience so others can learn valuable lessons from it, too.

working