jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What can say about the ruling that a person can be stopped and asked if he/she i

1. alexandriaruthk profile image71
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

What can say about the ruling that a person can be stopped and asked if he/she is illegal immigrant?

Today, June 25 2012, The US Supreme Court upheld the law in Arizona which allows police in uniforms to inquire about immigration status during stops.

Is this a win for the federal government? What do you think are the consequences of the affirmation of the law for other states which are also into making such same laws?

2. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 5 years ago

If you read the Arizona law they do not have the right to just randomly ask people their immigration status. The law enforcement officials have a lot of steps that come before that and limitations. Basically the steps before hand are checking to see if they have ID first, if not trying to look them up in their systems (check their social or drivers license) if both of those don't work to ID the person the officer can then ask their immigration status. This can only be done when being pulled over for something else (speeding for example). before the officer would have to detain the person for an hour or two till ICE agents got to the scene so ICE could ask that question.

1. alexandriaruthk profile image71
      alexandriaruthkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for further clarifying the issue.  Let us hope that the police officers do not have the prejudice if the names sound "alien" upon checking them out for the stops due to another violation.

Thanks for your valuable input.

3. CraftingTime profile image74
    CraftingTimeposted 5 years ago

I find it be very disturbing. My Grandmother whom is a Mexican American CITIZEN should nothave to worry about being harrassed about her citizenship due to racial profiling. On the other hand, this really is not such a new thing. There are check point in Arizona that have been around since I could remember, 20 years. And there you must state whether or not you are an American citizen and if they sense hesitance you will be pulled aside and questioned. That I believe also uses racial profiling. But what can we really do? I think if the world was turned and there were places where Irish, Polish, German..(white races) where being profiled for citizenship, there would be outrage among the masses.

4. Lizam1 profile image80
    Lizam1posted 5 years ago

Very reminiscent of Nazi Germany in fact.  Way to go America for furthering yet more racism and discrimination of people who are not blue eyed, white and blonde.  I am shocked that under the current president this was alllowed to get through.

working