This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think "free" is an accurate description being a citizen in the United Sta

1. HLKeeley profile image85
    HLKeeleyposted 5 years ago

Do you think "free" is an accurate description being a citizen in the United States?

I feel that the word "free" is not to describe us, but more of the country. I see it used out of term and describe US Citizens. It is a "free country," but what does that mean to you?

2. Craig Suits profile image78
    Craig Suitsposted 5 years ago

As far as nations go, we're about as free as it gets.
    Then again if you lived on a deserted island, You'd still have to abide by the islands rules. Wild animals, poisoness critters, dangerous weather. I can't think of a situation where one could do whatever one pleases and live very long.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

Yes, I think the word "free" is a good one to describe the life of the average American citizen.  I say this despite the fact that so many Americans wail about their lost freedoms.  However, I have traveled a bit and have seen how people live in countries that don't have our freedoms...and they don't live well.  We have our problems here, but we also have many opportunities and lots of rights.  I have never felt downtrodden in America and I have always felt free...and I've lived here for almost 70 years.

4. Waldo Numbly profile image61
    Waldo Numblyposted 5 years ago

NO.  Government institutions, committees, and agencies are all scrambling to validate themselves by creating laws, rules, restrictions, regulations and a multitude of sanctions; thousands on a weekly basis.  Building codes are outrageous, traffic laws are overwhelming, and our freedom of speech is diminishing rapidly. 
    Police are out of control.  They just arrested a lady at a town meeting for exceeding her allotted time to speak.  An elderly man was tazered and arrested because he refused a mental health exam.  A quick Google will reveal an array of absurd arrests and police brutality.  Silly laws and rules concerning sexual harassment and political correctness are holding everyone hostage.  It's getting worse by the minute.  In order to form a "perfect society,"  our rights and freedoms are being systematically cleaved from us.

working