jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Are governments moral?

1. SportsBetter profile image78
    SportsBetterposted 5 years ago

Are governments moral?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6872104_f260.jpg

2. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

No institution, governmental or private, is moral. That's a quality of individual human beings. It doesn't otherwise apply.

As for governments in particular, they don't have ethics, they have interests. Too many of us assume their behavior has some relation to decency. It doesn't.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know I must sound like a broken record, Attikos, but well said.

3. howlermunkey profile image91
    howlermunkeyposted 5 years ago

Attikos's comment about morailty is spot on. Its hard to judge an entire entity with a single human quality. That said, I will say that some governments are based upon higher morals, and ethics then others. A dictatorship, for example , is a form of government that servers one or a few, and we've seen from history and even the present how those countries treat their citizens, some might say "immorally" or even "cruel".  On the other side of the spectrum , you have governments that give their citizens freedom, justice and equality. Moral? Well Freedom for starters is a pretty moral act.  Perfect? nope, with freedom comes well....freedom.....but I'll take my freedom over a dictatorship any day.

1. Mike Marks profile image74
      Mike Marksposted 5 years agoin reply to this

dictatorship is not necessarily one run for a few.Committee with opposing intentions can stall while problems grow.A single person whose say goes can intiate immediate action.What is that single person's intention?And how is his position passed on?

4. profile image0
    rickyliceaposted 5 years ago

Their a necessary evil. The stationary bandit is better than the roving bandit. It's certainly better than anarchy just look at Mexico and Somalia.

5. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

I believe morality can only be obtained from observing Godly standards. Most governments are secular in nature, hence they are immoral. And, from what I have seen, the world suffers as a result.

working