jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

What is the simplest way to explain our economic situation to the average voter?

1. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

What is the simplest way to explain our economic situation to the average voter?

In college, Economics is a field that many of us avoided like the plague. How do we explain the economic crises around the world and  in the U.S. to an average American with a high school education level? No political statements, please.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

In laymen's terms, The way I would describe it is the worst since the "Great Depression".

3. Credence2 profile image81
    Credence2posted 5 years ago

Unfortunately, the average voter is fickle and has a short memory. The analogy of the "Great Depression" may not resonate as it occured outside the lifespan of most of us. The current administration has failed to plain speak the situation as tohow we got here and the magnitude of what is necessary to see the light of day to the solution.. It can be very complicated and not lend itself to a simple explanation, but there are some poeple with a gift for 'plain speaking', Clinton and Biden, popular and trusted, understand what has happened and can translate into plain english for main street.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You mean BS'rs? LOL

2. Attikos profile image80
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I thought Biden was this road show's comic relief man, and now I find out he's actually popular and trusted.  The things you learn on Hub Pages!

3. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that President Obama has been terrible at breaking this down for the average person who, in America, has an IQ of 91.  We do need some plain speakers, but economists are not those people!

4. jonnycomelately profile image82
    jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years ago

It's stuffed? Exploited for personal gain?

On the one hand it's managed by people who don't know what they are doing, who are motivated by ideology?

On the other hand it's exploited by greedy people who can see the weak spots and seek to gain more than their fair share?

5. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

You break your back to make a dollar.

A sanctimonious social activist comes along backed by big men with subpoenas, warrants and guns, telling you you're not giving him his fair share of your dollar. The men take two-thirds of your dollar, keep three quarters of that for themselves, pass the rest along to the activist, and they're all happy. They go away until you have another they can take.

You no longer have a dollar. You have a stunned look on your face and a growing feeling of anger at having been robbed by people you thought worked for you. Your willingness to break your back to make another dollar is replaced by thoughts of hope and change: hope you can keep your family housed and fed for another year, change to a state that has been taken over by pirates.

That's our economic situation today. I hope it's not too political for you, Xenonlit, but I don't know how to change it if you want a straight answer to your question.

Then the right wing racist extremists come along to loot the nation's treasury, put it in their pockets and call veterans and retirees "welfare" people. Yeah, right. Your answer is too political and smacks of Koch Brothers marching orders.

2. Attikos profile image80
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My goodness. I'd call that a revealing comment.

6. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately, it probably isn't possible. International macroeconomics is an extraordinarily complex topic. The number of people who truly understand it is probably about the same number of people who truly understand quantum mechanics. It is this complexity itself which is the problem. It would be kind of like putting hydrogen reactors in cars. Ya, they might be sweet and efficient, but that would create a complexity far beyond a home mechanic.

As an example, if you ask the average person on the street to describe what the Federal Reserve does or what fiat money is, you will probably get a lot of blank stares, and these are still relatively simple issues. Try finding people who can intelligently describe what Credit Default Swaps (CDOs) are or how the interbank lending market works.

Anytime there is an important system which has a large influence in our lives it is important that you either understand the system or trust those who run it. Medicine, I think, is a system which qualifies as such. Many of us aren't qualified to understand the medicine, which is why trusting our physicians is so critical.

So the simple way to explain the economy is to say it is like being in jet which is going down. The average person has nowhere near the understanding necessary to do anything about it, and can only trust the pilots who are flying it. We keep voting for pilots that walk on to the plane with a parachute strapped on their backs and a bottle of scotch in hand.

7. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

The average voter does not need advice in choosing a best candidate all they have to do is look at the record of the present president and decide if we need a change. The economy may reflect several past president's tenure in office and a voter has to decide whether to go across party lines and vote for the best in this country's interest for the long run.

That tactic is so not working, who. I am looking for an answer that answers the question, not an answer that pushes the Koch Brother's and the NRA's  fake grassroots agenda.

8. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

I would say the best way to describe our economic situation is simple. Bush and Cheney put us into a war under false pretenses. Tax breaks for the rich do not work. If they did, then where are the jobs? Filibusters and a do nothing and stop Obama at every turn Congress and Senate, i.e., McConnell and Cantor have just about brought ruination to this country. Our economy is a mess for many reasons, but the Tea Party and right wing zealots are not the answer. If these jokesters in D.C. really care about the rest of us, then maybe they should give up their health care before they attack ours. In the words of Steve Urkel..."Oops, did I say that Laura?"

9. ginosblog profile image71
    ginosblogposted 5 years ago

You don't spend someones money without their approval, you don't spend more than you take in and thirdly you do what you said you would do when elected to office. You don't 'pass bills to see what is in them:!

10. Holisticity profile image60
    Holisticityposted 5 years ago

Don't borrow more than you can afford to repay

working