jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How can you tell if someone is culturally ignorant vs. racist?(differences betwe

1. Vieenrose profile image64
    Vieenroseposted 5 years ago

How can you tell if someone is culturally ignorant vs. racist?(differences between two?)

I

2. vveasey profile image84
    vveaseyposted 5 years ago

A racist is someone who thinks that their "race" is superior to other "races" based on some trait attributed to their "race" like skin color or some other physical or external trait.

A culturallly ignorant person wouldn't share the racists belief. They may make certain statements or judgements about certain cultures out of ingnorance of that culture's values, behavior or other cultural practices or traditions

1. Vieenrose profile image64
      Vieenroseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nice distinction..I mean I always know what the two meant but I had trouble classifying someone as ignorant vs true racist. Seems to me that racists are similar to believers of social darwinism whereas the other makes stereotypical jokes.

3. btrbell profile image93
    btrbellposted 5 years ago

That's a great question! I think it is intent. What is their intention when they say or do something. I was just having this conversation yesterday because I had always felt that my parents raised me to be fair and non judgemental no matter race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Yet, she was telling me a story and felt she had to clarify that the man was black. It saddened me and confused me because it had no purpose in the story. I do feel on her part it was ignorance. At least I hope it was!

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Culturally ignorant people are simply people who do not know or understand the ways of a particular ethnic group--the food, clothing, manners, etc. A racist person believes that one whose appearance is different from another (based on where their ancestors came from) is physically, psychologically, or intellectually superior to another.

working