jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think that the two-party (Democrat-Republican) system has enhanced or imp

1. hubsy profile image81
    hubsyposted 5 years ago

Do you think that the two-party (Democrat-Republican) system has enhanced or impared our government?

Have our two political parties enhanced our political system to better reflect the will of the people or impared it the ability of people to really vote for the candidate they want? Is the party system an obstacle in carrying out justice and creating fair laws?

2. peeples profile image89
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Very much impaired! It's either vote for people who are biggots or vote for people who have no concept of the dollar and like to throw money at people with no questions asked. It's a messed up situation that leaves people like me stuck in the middle feeling like it's either vote for the lesser of two evils or not have my vote count.

3. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

[Speaking from an American perspective]. I tend to think a multi-party system would be better, primarily by giving voice to a wider range of opinions and candidates. However, a two-party system COULD do a better job at that if they actually cared about that sort of thing. But as our system currently exists, it tends to focus the parties into relatively narrow bands and makes it extremely hard for third parties and independents.

Where this really shows up, to me, is in Congressional Committees where much of the actual work in Congress takes place. The ruling party has far too much dominance over the legislative process. If not for the Senate, there would be some unbelievably horrible turds being put into law by the House. They'd have us out in the forest foraging for grubs by now. I have watched quite a few Committee hearings and I am always impressed by the fortitude of the minority members to even show up knowing that what they say won't ever matter.

Ultimately, though, any system can go astray. Citizens have a tremendous responsibility to be informed and participate in the system. If you close your eyes while driving a horse and buggy you can't really complain when you go over a cliff. Americans have their eyes closed, so I tend not to have much sympathy for our plight.

4. SportsBetter profile image80
    SportsBetterposted 5 years ago

Impaired.  It gives us less choices in our government.  The people are left to choose from the left and right hands of the puppet master. 

Both parties work together even though they fight in front of the cameras.

They argue about issues that should be left up to local communities and governments and not federally.

Both parties endorse war, Federal Reserve paper money, and social programs. They both take money from lobbyists pass regulations and laws that benefit corporations and imprison the people economically. 

The system is broken and don't expect change from a failed two party monopolistic system that endorses never ending credit.

5. ptosis profile image73
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6948394_f260.jpg

The two system is because of the 'winner take all' rule for electoral votes, (except for the two split states) -  tweak the current system or overhaul it.

working