jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

If you have money, will you donate to a political campaign fund?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image74
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

If you have money, will you donate to a political campaign fund?

Granting that you have extra cash and have money, are you willing to donate to a political campaign fund to support your candidate and his/her cause? Why or why not?

2. profile image61
    vmassey120posted 5 years ago

If I had extra cash I would donate to a political campaign if I believed in the candidate.  It takes money to do anything in America.   A candidate can have all the best ideas in the world but without money to get to the media and other outlets, no one will every know that.  I would also donate because often time the person receives so much money from large organizations and wealth individuals that the laws and regulations are often slanted toward what would help the big donors rather than what is best for the majority of Americans.

The 2012 Presidential election seems to be a good example of this.  One of the candidates major donors are large corporations while the other candidate is receiving a large percentage of his money from actors, filmmakers and other celebrities.  This is happening because the perception  is that the Republican nominee will pass laws that are more beneficial to corporations while the Democratic nominee will continue to try to pass regulations which are less favorable to corporations and more favorable to ordinary Americans.

I would certainly donate to campaigns if I had the money because this is the only way we can make sure that the person who represents our concerns can be seriously considered as a candidate.

1. Attikos profile image79
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hollywood represents "ordinary Americans?" Oookaay ...

3. Georgie Lowery profile image93
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I made the mistake of donating a few bucks to the presidential candidate that I will vote for. I say "made the mistake" because now I'm getting a couple two or three e-mails a day from the campaign asking for more cash. I definitely won't do it again. I'm just grateful I didn't give them my phone number.

4. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Obama has bought every election he ever has won. His weakest showing was against McCain. He outspent him by only three to one, well under his average.

He can't do that this time. Romney is now raising more money, including PACs, and, though he is still running behind, by election day there will probably be a rough parity between the campaigns' fundings, all sources and active participants considered. Since his first unsuccessful one, Obama has never had to run a race with his opponent being able to spend about as much as he. Now he does. The funding is what is putting the two candidates on a more or less equal footing this time.

All that money comes from somewhere. Were it not for a great deal of campaign contribution to Romney, both direct and indirect, Obama would now strutting cockily around confident he was buying yet another one. Instead, he's gone nastily negative in the hope of making himself appear the lesser of the evils in order to squeak by, and he isn't sure it's going to work. That's why he looks and acts so worried and angry lately.

The people willing to give are having a strong influence on this election. Don't say you won't. This one is showing that it matters.

5. Ramsa1 profile image60
    Ramsa1posted 5 years ago

I have never "donated" to a political campaign and never will because politicians can't be trusted to keep their promises.

working