jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

According to voting records, which senator is the most conservative?

1. profile image75
    Education Answerposted 5 years ago

According to voting records, which senator is the most conservative?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Voting records are not an accurate gauge of whether a senator is conservative or liberal. Bills that would appear to have a conservative nature, are often amendments to existing bills, which are already more conservative. You would have to select a certain set of bills involving crucial votes to determine if a Senator or Congressman is conservative or liberal and even, then you might not know because a conservative issue in Wyoming may not be a conservative issue in Louisiana.

Thus deciding what bills you are going to use as the benchmark is the first step you have t take. Looking at total voting records, will often give a false impression.

It has to be decided which issues are conservative and which are liberal. Depending on personal perspective, different people would label bills differently.

If you want a raw vote, check all the bills, riders, amendments, conference reports and resolution, decide which party introduced them and then run your tally. If the Democrats prevail, then all Democratic lawmakers would be viewed as liberal by some and all Republicans would be viewed as conservative. However, that would be the poorest barometer you could use.

3. mio cid profile image48
    mio cidposted 5 years ago

If i had to guess i would say  jon kyl

4. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

I would tend to Agree with Larry.  Voting record doesn't alway tell the story.  However as a fiscal conservative myself, I tend to think that Jim Demint is the most sincere of the senators when it comes to upholding conservative ideals and policies.  But then again the conservatives in the senate are not nearly as conservative as those in the house.

5. nanderson500 profile image84
    nanderson500posted 5 years ago

It was probably Jessie Helms when he was around, not sure there is a clear #1 in this category now.

working