jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is our health care broken yet , hows your doctor ?............

1. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Is our health care broken yet , hows your doctor ?............

Doctors operate on the wrong limb forty times a week in  America ! But our system is great ?

2. Josak profile image61
    Josakposted 5 years ago

Yeah just as it was before... It's not addressed in Obamacare but it is something governemnt should get onto apparently making a detailed check list for surgeons and making them use it reduces complications by massive percentages.

3. flacoinohio profile image81
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

I am sure there are mistakes, but Marty Makary is just trying to use a scare tactic to sell his book.  If his statement were true you would be reading or hearing about these surgical blunders every day.

4. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

With the millions of people who go through surgery in America, there are going to be mistakes. There will be errors regardless of how much the process is tinkered. No system can be perfect.

The American medical system has been broken for years for other reasons, though. It is overregulated, institutionalized and uncompetitive, guaranteeing a high level of inefficiency and abuse. Its cost has consequently grown to the point Americans cannot continue to pay for it, not through direct fees, insurance premiums or taxes. It already is rationing services and goods through administrative and insurance oversight. It is already next to impossible to get a timely appointment to see your doctor, Obamacare has already made that problem worse, and it is becoming more so by the month now.

Effective reform would entail deregulation and decentralization. Our political system has taken the opposite direction. Yes, US medicine (we have to start calling it that rather than American medicine because it is being nationalized by the US government) is broken, and no one knows how to put Humpty back together again.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I  can only speak from my own experience which is this:  I  and my immediate family have had numerous serious surgeries without any mishaps whatsoever...this is because we are proactive in our own health care, do our homework and use the best doctors and hospitals we can afford.

I personally think people are sloppy about their health care, and this is what causes many problems.  At my hospital, for example, they make you take a marker and actually draw an arrow and write the words "this one" on any limb  that needs surgery...ie, hip replacement.

So, while the system does have problems, people assume too much and thus put themselves at risk.  And they suffer greatly as a result.