jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the longest period of time you have had to manage without electricity?

1. Gina145 profile image83
    Gina145posted 5 years ago

What is the longest period of time you have had to manage without electricity?

Why were you left without power for so long?

2. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

About a week and a half, following a hurricane. We did fine. You just have to be reasonably prepared, that's all, and I was a Boy Scout, so we were.

3. innerspin profile image93
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

Two days in a winter holiday rental property that was heated by electricity. All the local ameneties were closed due to the power cut, so no hot food. I think a tree had fallen onto some cables. It was cold, but hey, worse things happen.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Close to two weeks. That was the result of Hurricane Katrina. When my wife was a young girl, living in New Orleans, Hurricane Betsy took out power for about three weeks if not longer.

It is not the end of the world, but when temperatures are in the 90s and ice is hard to find, it does become trying. The hardest part is trying to sleep. You have the windows open to catch any breeze you can, but you have to listen to all the noises, the most irritating of which is the noise of all the portable generators people are running throughout the night.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I think it was 4 or 5 days.  We had a microburst in our area that took out buildings, trees and power lines.  The worst part about it was that our well pump is electric so we had to buy water and borrow a shower from friends who aren't on a well.

I am lost without power.

working