jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Is implementing one child policy the best but an indirect way of sustaining envi

1. Divy Raghuvanshi profile image60
    Divy Raghuvanshiposted 5 years ago

Is implementing one child policy the best but an indirect way of sustaining environment.

as more number of people carry an equally greater demand for every possible thing ,which means more exploitation.more people will eat more thus need for more food an increased food demand means using more pesticides and hence eroding the soil and polluting the underground water which is untreatable .pesticides also effects the farmers.and the list can go on.

2. profile image0
    bobbyandbeansposted 5 years ago

No.  The environment is affected by many things, not just demand for farming.  Businesses pollute the environment with chemicals in manufacturing facilities, and fossil fuel also chokes the air and ground.  Strip mining and deforestation are also factors.

Human greed is also a factor as resources are mismanaged and wasted and food supplies purposely controlled to hike prices.  The earth can probably sustain twice the population we have if not more, if it were used properly.

These issues should be explored before we assume that population control is the only way to control pollution, as well as the use of organic farming methods and hydroponics.

Divy Raghuvanshiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

no  that was just a intro. i just mentioned one point .i was not in a mood to write a long comment.
      but thanks for commenting.
      but as you said that the earth can sustain twice the population,if that happens i suppose there will be space for only us.

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Perhaps for China, whose population is so large, it is a must. But as a rule I don't think it is. To my mind focusing on proper consumerism is the answer; consuming in logical amounts and ways. The civilized west with a lower population is using up much more resources than the overpopulated east.

Divy Raghuvanshiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

true,but the logic behind one child policy is reducing the rate at which the pop. increases as one thing is obvious that the no. of people living will not go down it will keep on multiplying as you can see,very soon west could as populated as east.

4. pramodgokhale profile image48
    pramodgokhaleposted 5 years ago

One child policy best suits to developing nations where population is increasing and no resources available to  feed them. The  income and expenditure of every family and if no scope for saving then family size bound to be small.
    I am an Indian and one comment rightly pointed that large populous nations need it because inadequate resources and funds it is not possible could sustain such huge mass.In India family planning was introduced long back but religion and superstition is  a factor that dominates the scene even ruling governemnt lost majority and power.. So family planning program remained stagnant but India's new middle class is increasingly  practicing small family set up so in next two decades India's population growth will come down and it will stabilize .
    The country to country situation differs.For your information. less population does not assure progress or development of the country, because in south America and part of Africa some nations are large by size with  less population then they are poor and under authoritarian regimes.
    Low and high population is not the bone of contention but to put them on job and and best way to turn them into civilian society is a challenge where nations across the globe are struggling.
    Good question and thought provoking.
    Pramod gokhale