jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Whether in your personal life,the workplace or business dealings, how to you han

1. fpherj48 profile image74
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Whether in your personal life,the workplace or business dealings, how to you handle an INTERRUPTER?

What is your best advice, to dealing with an individual, who habitually & continually INTERRUPTS while others are speaking?

2. HoneyBB profile image97
    HoneyBBposted 5 years ago

Wait...may I interrupt?  I have been guilty of interrupting people here and there and the things that got me to shut my big, fat mouth were when they either totally ignored me or they abruptly stopped talking to let me know that I would have my chance later..which usually never came.  LOL

fpherj48posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Honey....LOL....you're funny!    I like your answer.  It's very honest!  Thank you.

2. HoneyBB profile image97
      HoneyBBposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LOL! fpher, when you're the 8th child out of ten, interrupting is a survival skill you can't live without! LOL

3. bobbyandbeans profile image46
    bobbyandbeansposted 5 years ago

I usually just tell them flat out the minute they start to interrupt, "Please don't interrupt," and keep talking.  If they're the bullying, know-it-all, domineering type, I repeat it again very firmly.  "Please do not interrupt me.  Ever.  I will finish in a moment and then you may speak."

If they continue to interrupt or make a fuss, I point out that interrupting, talking over someone, insisting you be the only one to talk and no one else can offer a differing opinion, or insisting you get the last word makes you a bully.  "Grownup adult people do not bully others, and as a grownup adult, you will not bully a conversation with me."

It's tough but for some people it's necessary.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

First, I ignore them. Then if it irritatingly continues, I confront the individual in private expressing my emotions, why it is irritating, how it is rude, etc. If they continue to inturrupt, then I ignore their comments when they interrupt as if they never even spoke. It irritates them to no end. If the person is passive, they will learn from it around me. If the person is dominant, they will continue doing irritating things other than inturrupting which causes more problems that take great difficulty and effort to fix. Eventually, they mess up and are replaced.

Very good.   Try the quiet, nice way first.  If that doesn't work.....Oh woe is they!!   I like it!

5. tillsontitan profile image88
    tillsontitanposted 5 years ago

People interrupt other people? Really?  Can you imagine anyone even trying to interrupt me?  When you speak at the speed of sound it is hard for anyone else to get a word in edgewise wink
    Seriously, depends on who, depends on when.  Some people I just take it with a grain of salt, others I give my full attention - for which they are eternally sorry.

LMAO!!   What a WOMAN!!   Just my type.....

working