This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

What is your opinion on the new marijuana legislation in Colorado and Washington

1. rclinton5280 profile image77
    rclinton5280posted 5 years ago

What is your opinion on the new marijuana legislation in Colorado and Washington.

These two states are doing what no one has done before. What do you think will be the outcome?

2. profile image0
    Ana Louisposted 5 years ago

I can't say that I stand on either side of the fence, because I don't believe that marijuana is any more addicticting that alchol.  From the material I have read, addiction can be linked to a problem of DNA.  We often inherit our tendency to be alcoholics, smokers, drug users...as well as our leaning toward other things.

The legislation will fail or it will prove to be no more than the legalization of alcohol.  Personally...before taking some of the medications that doctors prescribe for certain ailments, I would choose marijuana.  I often cannot believe the medications doctors will prescribe  for their patiences - medications that are highly addictive.   So, I see it as another experiment in social behavior, and how much control the government/FDA decides to excerise, and let us not forget the drug lords and dealers.  This is really going to hurt their pocket books.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

1. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am sure Big Pharma is going to block it unless they already have a plan in place to cash in.

3. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 5 years ago

I am hoping that it opens the door to total legalization especially for medical purposes. The research about the benefits for chronically ill people is showing some really great results.

Economically it would also be a boon. New tax revenues, jobs, cash crops for farmers and whole list of related opportunities.   

for recreational use people are going to keep toking whether it is legal or not, so why not bring the money into the state, federal and business coffers instead of letting the crime syndicates and local gangs collect it.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image93
      M. T. Dremerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. As long as we regulate it like we do alcohol, there should be no reason why it can't have a positive impact in our country.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

It will be interesting to see how it works out. I'm glad it's someone other than California taking the lead this time.

5. brblog profile image85
    brblogposted 5 years ago

I think the Fed's should back off, let the states give it a try and see what happens. Maybe legalization will actually lead to a better way . . . we know the old way, enforcement, is not working.

6. Sri T profile image79
    Sri Tposted 5 years ago

I say keep it illegal. At least some people will stay away from it. If it's legal more people will be encouraged to start using it just like alcohol. Alcohol is already causing enough problems. Even with over 21 rules and no drinking and driving. That never stopped everybody from driving while drunk. The high grade marijuana would cause the same problems. A lot of people cannot even walk, let alone drive under the influence of some of the highest grades marijuana today, but they will try.

working