jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think Africa will ever compete on a level ground with the rest of the wor

1. cuttler profile image60
    cuttlerposted 5 years ago

Do you think Africa will ever compete on a level ground with the rest of the world?

We have seen the east catching up to the west in the form of Japan and China. AM just wondering, with the massive resources available to Africa will we ever make it?

2. mintinfo profile image75
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

Given the history of the world I don't think that will happen. Africans are not exploitative by nature, they are more altruistic. Capitalism will not flourish in that circumstance. What is the measure of success, money, strong economics? Africans should strive for self sufficiency, literacy and education and not to join the rat race.

3. grumpiornot profile image71
    grumpiornotposted 5 years ago

No. African culture is not compatible with business excellence or sustainability. There are countless examples of this, but very few to contradict it.

1. CertifiedHandy profile image81
      CertifiedHandyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You apparently sir, have never studied the classics. African kids are inventing human waste powered generators. African Americans are worth $1.1 trillion dollars which would make them the 16th. largest country behind Canada. Africa America & Afri

2. grumpiornot profile image71
      grumpiornotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@Certified: I did not dispute the many clever and resourceful African individuals. My point is that the African continent is pointed towards failure due to the African culture...not the African-American culture. Classics? One google search stat?

3. CertifiedHandy profile image81
      CertifiedHandyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@grum you missed my point. Present African culture is a product of the European slave trade, colonialism and exploitative development practices. African Americans with their  wealth and education are playing a unique role in the African Renaissance.

4. someonewhoknows profile image74
    someonewhoknowsposted 5 years ago

There is hope for the young who haven't been convinced otherwise.
    For example 4 girls and their supporters who have come up with one way to improve life for themselves and those who believe in their vision of the future.

Urine-powered generator produces six hours of electricity per bathroom break

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/08/urin … generator/

turn waste into energy before it recycles

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/29/flus … to-energy/
    Flushing solid and fluid wastes with 1 and 0.2 liters of H2O, respectively, the can will be able to route refuse to external processing facilities. Fertilizer ingredients such as nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous would then be harvested from liquids. Similarly, methane can be coaxed from solids for conversion to electricity or as a replacement for other natural gasses. Two of the university's restrooms are slated to have the toilets installed in the near future, and the team expects the thrones to roll out worldwide within three years.

Sintex's biogas digester ingests crap, emits energy

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/29/sint … ts-energy/

Sintex Industries' aptly-dubbed biogas digester is most certainly not the first of its kind, but it is somewhat commendable that its maker is making no bones about this thing's purpose. Destined to "solve India's energy and sanitation problems in one stroke," this concoction can convert "human [waste], cow dung, or kitchen garbage into fuel that can be used for cooking or generating electricity." Reportedly, a one-cubic-meter digester would sell for around $425, but could pay for itself in energy savings in under 24 months. Excrement to energy -- now there's a concept.

1. cuttler profile image60
      cuttlerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow!Who knew poop could earn that much:) I totally agree with you.The future of the continent is truly in the hands of the young. provided the old guard do not tarnish the minds of the young with corruption , tribal politics and low self esteem

5. Bildad Hawi profile image73
    Bildad Hawiposted 6 months ago

We will when we trade more with each other and set favourable terms of trade. We also need to support small businesses and invest more in quality education that is more attuned to the demands of the technology savvy world.

6. Paul Kagame profile image38
    Paul Kagameposted 4 months ago

If I can conquer all of Africa and rule it as a colony of my Western masters, maybe.

working