jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Can anyone be truly empathetic?

1. MarcusJ profile image72
    MarcusJposted 5 years ago

Can anyone be truly empathetic?

Recently I read a college textbook on communication. There was a section explaining how some people are sympathetic and few are empathetic. I was curious if a human being can possess the ability to really put themselves in another persons situation and react accordingly.

2. taburkett profile image61
    taburkettposted 5 years ago

every individual has the capacity to understand the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another person if they possess the feeling, thought, and experience to fully communicate the situation objectively.

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

In smaller communities it is much easier to be empathetic because its members have a closer relationship. In larger communities this can be achieved through a closer relaitonship in neighbourhoods. In any case, it is important to group in smaller numbers so that we can continue to be humane-sympathetic and empathetic; which after all, is what separates us from the rest of the species.

Dear Marcus, would you really put yourself in another person's situation and react accordingly if he were a complete stranger? Of course, your and my answer would be most likely NO. Isn't it understandable?

1. MarcusJ profile image72
      MarcusJposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great answer! I agree mostly. I believe it is impossible to fully put yourself in another persons situation but I think most "sensitive" people can get pretty close. I grew up in a very small community so I concur that empathy is simpler that way.

4. profile image0
    erickcbposted 5 years ago

Lots of people to some degree can. I know psychopaths, and sociopaths can't which is really interesting. If our emotions are what makes us human, does that mean they are not?? Curious..

working