Latest polls and your reaction

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 8 years ago

I've been reading some of the polls on support for the healthcare bill. Support is at a new low, with only 38% supporting the bill. 56% oppose the bill. My question is this: Should representatives vote the way their constituents want them to, or should they ignore their constituents' wishes and do what they think is best? This applies not only to health care, but for issues in general. What do you think?

Here's the latest poll:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ … are_reform

1. profile image60
      C.J. Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We are a representative democracy..a republic....the members of congress are duty bound to vote the will of the people. When they don't they better have a good reason.

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They should just resign right after they vote for impeachment of the Fraud in Chief!

3. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think they are supposed to represent us, so they should vote in accordance with the wishes of their constituents. Unfortunately they think that because we voted for them that means we want them to tell us, what's best for us! I don't know if it's their arrogance or their possession of power that alludes them into thinking that they should decide for us rather than do our bidding! Health care will pass, in spite of the wishes of the people which only reinforces the belief that your vote means nothing and that we are not a free people but slaves to a government out of control and drunk with power!

4. aware profile image64
      awareposted 8 years agoin reply to this

polls have up to a 6% margin of error for one. plus the polling group is often  bias .

2. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 8 years ago

Elected officials in all branches of government are elected as representatives.  We live in a representative democracy (though who knows for how long).  There's nothing more arrogant that a public official telling us he's going to vote his conscience (most of them don't have one).  We should never fall into the belief that because an individual gets elected, he/she suddenly becomes more intelligent, sophisticated, more learned, or more able to determine the path for the rest of us.  Its our job to be informed and demand representation based on knowledge, not feeling or expediency.

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 8 years ago

Aw, c'mon, Tex - tell me how your really feel!

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ok

4. Flightkeeper profile image71
    Flightkeeperposted 8 years ago

If this keeps up, President Obama's initial isn't going to stand for the letter O but the number zero.  His numbers are goind down and he came back from his last foreign trip with a big fat zero.  Didn't accomplish anything. Oh except learn how to bow.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are a number (no pun - really!) of sites that refer to him as exactly that !

5. Flightkeeper profile image71

No way, he's already President Zero!  Okay I don't know whether to laugh or smirk.

Okay I'll laugh. lol

6. Flightkeeper profile image71

You're right Madame, others are recognizing his failures as well.  I think in one of the british papers, he was recently characterized as an empty suit.  Not sure what to make of that.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 8 years agoin reply to this

seen that one too - on lots of sites . . .

7. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 8 years ago

hi habee, I should feel that since a "representative" as the term itself calls for being the representative of the people or constituents, they should represent the majority of what the pulse of the people. Sorry but I dont think some polls are representative of the true opinions of the  people, I dont know how they conduct the poll or where do they get the sample, etc...

8. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 8 years ago

I agree, polls can be skewed. But Rasmussen was the most accurate in the 2008 election. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they're right about this. IF, however, their numbers are correct, should our legislators take heed?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)