Do you believe that those on welfare should be required ability tests to receive

1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image51
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 5 years ago

Do you believe that those on welfare should be required ability tests to receive the  assistance?

Some people get 700-900 dollars in food stamps, 650 dollars upward in rent allowance, medical help and then get living expenses on top of the rest.  The people working minimum wage do not get this much by working and most of the time do NOT get medical insurance.  The people coming from other countries to live in the US get 7 years of assistance, while some of our own citizens can NOT get help.  Do you think that the entitlement programs should be changed ?  Do you think that welfare people should have to work, get ability-drug tests,  or required to pay back the money to get the assistance ?

2. brimancandy profile image81
    brimancandyposted 5 years ago

This is a question asked by people who have never been on welfare, and who know little or nothing about it. Number one, not every person on welfare is eligible for food stamps, and those who gets the amounts you are talking about, usually have small children in their homes, and most are single parents, and always women only. Single men with no children who are under the retirement age, and can physically work, get no assistance at all.

A majority of foreigners who come here, are also war transplants, that have fled their countries to come here. They do get assistance, but, again, most have children. If they do not, they are less likely to get anything other than a trip to the nearest homeless shelter. Believe it or not, some do come here with their own money, on top of assistance, some are even given homes. That, I do not approve of. As in, sorry we invaded your country, here's a house and some money, but don't enjoy it too long, because it's only temporary.

People assume that a lot of the welfare community is uneducated, or on drugs. Having been on welfare myself, that is not true at all. I have seen teachers, and even business professionals on welfare, simply because they are in a position where there is no work. Most are long term unemployed, who have exhausted all of their income, and have to feed their family somehow. It is a very sad feeling when you go from making $25,000.00 a year to nothing. You quickly see how fast you don't matter, and how quickly everyone looks down on you.

I know one man who went from $150,000.00 to welfare, he and his family lost everything. So, there is a side to being on assistance that a lot of people don't know about. Also, the way welfare works, if they start testing one person, they drop the ball on everyone, because you are just a number, and nothing else. It's very insulting, and they can be very mean.