jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Do you believe in equality for everyone?

1. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

Do you believe in equality for everyone?

Many say they are open minded and treat everyone equally, but do we really? When answering please think about race, medical treatment, sexual preferences, political views, economics and social issues. Yes, I know it is a lot to cover, but can equality mean something for certain situations and something different for other circumstances?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Not entirely. There will always be at least one person who will believe they are better than others and treat them below him.

3. safiq ali patel profile image74
    safiq ali patelposted 5 years ago

I think equality is a fantastic ideal that can improve and benefit the lives of virtually every individual on the planet. But I think real equality is still a theory and the human race all over the world has a long way to on this idea. There are many millions of people all over the world if not billions who do not respect the equal status of all man kind. We have a long way to go before we are truly illuminated with real equality on the earth.

1. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wanted to answer the question but you already said all so eloquently there is nothing left to say but “I agree”.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image79
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

Equal opportunity...Yes...Equal Results...No.  I believe in a meritocracy.  A level playing field will not produce the same results. Nor she we attempt to socially engineer results.  We need to only pursue a society where each person is granted the same opportunies.  What they choose to do with them is ultimately up to them, and they should live with the consequences of their decisions.

1. peeples profile image95
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Should we? Yes. Does the world? No. Which I find to be very disheartening. Everyone is the same with the same feelings. To treat people differently because of any reason (unless they have committed a crime) is just wrong.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image55
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

As far as 'law' is concerned, everyone should be treated equally. And I think most of the nations have this in their constitution, that everyone is equal in the eyes of law, equality of  status and opportunity in education, in jobs, in giving justice and so on....but in reality it is difficult to implement.
    The reasons can vary from the financial conditions of the individual to the social background or some other circumstances. A good government is that which tries to maintain a balance among its masses, in other words, strives to take steps to reduce or minimize the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have-nots'.
    As far as I am concerned, I value education and good cultural background of a person makes him superior to others. But again the person may have got the right opportunities to achieve the same, which some one else might have been deprived of.
    So, as safiq has pointed out, we really have a long way to go to achieve real equality.
    Good question!

working