jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

We agree, something has to be done about mass killings - violence? What are your

1. alexandriaruthk profile image77
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

We agree, something has to be done about mass killings - violence? What are your suggestions?

What do you think we need to do about this? - gun control, family cohesion, mental issues and the politics about it, or combination of some, all? What is your idea about this?

2. violetheaven profile image60
    violetheavenposted 5 years ago

the current mental health system is in crisis.   Its a complex issue that treatments vary based on the individual and the degree of illness.    Gun control should have a 30 day waiting period not 72 hrs.   There needs to be a more comprehensive background check done.

1. tom_caton profile image81
      tom_catonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Even then, how much can mental health be based on speculation? How much can be achieved in. averages? Where is a line drawn, and where do you start to ignore the opinions of people based on averages and statistics? There's no right answer.

2. RavenBiker profile image60
      RavenBikerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I really don't see the difference between 72hrs. and 30 days.  Seventy-two hours is enough to do comprehensive background checks so what of the other 27 days? ---knee jerk reaction for sure.  But I do believe the mental health ssytem is in crisis.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image81
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

There is very little that can be done legislatively.  Gun control is not only not going to prevent massacres, but it will likely increase crime as the 2 million cases a year in which civilians use firearms to defend themsevles will now become victims.  We already have extinsive backround checks in place.  It doesn't take but 15 minutes to run someone through the NCIC database anyway.  Your not getting any more info in 30 days that you wouldn't have gotten in the first go round.

While I think the violence in the movies and video games may contribute.  Lets be realistic.  A healthy normal functioning child is not going to committ such an act because they saw something violent on TV.  It may influence those whom are distrubed to begin with.  But we can't censor people either. Perhaps maybe enforce movie ratings which never happens.  But kids get this stuff on their computers now anyway.  The creators of violent games and movies have to voluntarily reduce the content that they create.  If you try to legislate it, you have quite a slippery slope. Before you know it, someone will say that a movie with a political message or something of historical nature is too violent to be shown.  Then one day we can't show our grandchildren a documentary on 911 or Pearl Harbor. 

Mental Health is a place for discussion.  But do we really want alot of latitude in committing people before they take action.  How long will it be before greedy children want to committ their parents to gain control of their estate.   Thats not an area we want to be so quick to make snap judgements about. 

The reality you can only react to evil acts.  Its never going to be possible to prevent a determined person from committing them.  If it was, then it would have been done thousands of years ago.  Because man has been commiting heinous acts against eachother for thousands of years. And it is never a good idea to sacrifice ones liberty for their safety.

4. Doctor Kristy profile image90
    Doctor Kristyposted 5 years ago

Change the way the media reports mass killings. I found this article very interesting, about the reportage of the cinema shooting. http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/media … ass-murder

Also, reduce the number of violent TV shows and video games. These normalise violence and desensitise viewers.

Of course, there are many other factors - bigger factors. But these are just two that I feel would be comparatively easier to address, as a starting point.

5. tom_caton profile image81
    tom_catonposted 5 years ago

Yes we are all desensitized, yes the laws are as hard hitting as they can be without being invasive, so where now?

Truth is, there will never be an end to atrocity. The closer we get to a solution, the closer we get to a new problem. Perhaps we just need to find a middle ground, an acceptable average. But even then there'll be problems, those who disagree, then the norm will become an extreme with it's obvious opposite. Then a new middle ground is realised. Etc. Etc.

6. RavenBiker profile image60
    RavenBikerposted 5 years ago

I remember a parent tell me that they refuse to give in to their kids and get a pet for them.  "I don't want the pet to die and leave me with the emotional mess it causes," the reasoned with me.  I know too many young adults that simply wish their parents get a life and stay out of their business.

Where I am going with this is that our society is overly cautious with the ways of the world and refuse to recoginze the world is not a perfect place.  Stigmatization used to be out in the open and today even stigmas are stigmatized.  Take Sandy Hook---a parent clearly needed help as much as their son needed help.

As a society, we need to remove the stigma from mental health issues.  We also need to be responsible and come together BEFORE such tragedies.  Gun control is like ignoring the boogie man under the basement stairs (not to say anything about the elephant in the corner).

7. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

I don't believe homicidal maniacs are born - they're made. The bottom line is that some people are acting out their criminal impulses upon their neighbors, as if they have a right to do so.

Yes, I am referring to Kings, Queens, Presidents, Prime Ministers, military personnel, mafia families, gangs, not to mention your solitary street thug. They all have this one thing in common: they only care about what they want and they have no regard for the lives of those they victimize.

So, is the solution gun control? No, because your Kings, Queens, Presidents and Military personnel will still have their's, and so will all criminal elements. Gun control will only take guns out of the hands of decent folks...not the monsters of society.

So, if gun control is not the answer...what is? At the end of the day...monsters are developed in their youth, and over time, they perfect their madness.

America teaches its young (directly or indirectly) that: (1) there is no God (consequently there will be no eternal implications for one's actions); (2) Since there is no God, life is without divine purpose or meaning; (3) there are no moral absolutes, hence everything is a shade of grey; (4) they're like the animals of the field (without a spirit and without a divine calling); (5) they evolved from a common ancestor as chimpanzees (hence they, too, are susceptible to animal aggression and impulses); (6) they are just a random mutation who evolved from a primordial soup (hence there's nothing special or significant about them or their neighbors); (7) the greatest love is the love one has for one's self (hence a person should elevate their needs above all others).

These are just a few of the twisted philosophies that America is teaching its children within the school system. Then when the children go home...they arrive to an empty house. Often times, their mother is a working girl, who either never married or divorced their father. Ever since the government gifted women with "no fault" divorce decrees and the promise of preferential treatment in divorce court, not to mention government assistance - divorces have escalated, thus 80% of all divorces are filed by wives.

To recapitulate the aforementioned: what we see is the systematic brainwashing of our youth into an inferior psychological mind-set and belief system, not to mention the willful and strategic destruction of the nuclear family.