jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the common hidden agendas of internet alarmists?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

What are the common hidden agendas of internet alarmists?

2. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 5 years ago

That they have no agendas...just alarmists.

3. S Leretseh profile image59
    S Leretsehposted 5 years ago

"What are the common hidden agendas of internet alarmists?"

With some... it's undoubtedly the truth. Other's perhaps bored and seeking attention. A small percentage, it's probably a kooky obsession that drives them.

4. swordsbane profile image59
    swordsbaneposted 5 years ago

Depends on what you mean by alarmist.  Generally an alarmist is anyone who warns someone of something they don't believe in.  The critical point of an alarmist is that what he's warning about is really not a danger, or doesn't exist.

If you're talking about an alarmist who KNOWS he's just making people anxious for no reason, then I gotta say the "hidden" agenda is pretty obvious: to cause an unwarranted ruckus.

However, if you're talking about someone who doesn't know that the danger they are warning of isn't real, then they have no "hidden" agenda.  They think they're right.  It is a genuine desire to help others.

I think MOST people fall into the latter category.  Whether they are right or wrong, they honestly want to help people and think they should be warned.  It takes a special type of sleazy (and yes... the internet is full of sleazy people like that) to cause trouble just for the sake of causing trouble.... I think we call those people "Trolls" :} and I don't think their agenda stops at being an internet alarmist.

working