jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think installing emergency warning systems in schools would be effective

1. SEXYLADYDEE profile image68
    SEXYLADYDEEposted 5 years ago

Do you think installing emergency warning systems in schools would be effective against gun violence

Legislators are considering installing emergency warning systems in schools in case of a gun welding intruder or other emergency. Assuming this means buzzers at several locations, warning lights, alarms and silent alarms. This seems like a good first step in securing our children's schools.

2. Beyond-Politics profile image85
    Beyond-Politicsposted 5 years ago

I'm a Generation X-er (graduated in 1985). Back when I was in school, gun laws were MORE liberal, not less. More powerful and dangerous guns were available, and the laws made them easier to obtain. The only differences is between then and now is that (1) there was more money & resources allocated to mental health issues, and (2) people just weren't interested in obtaining weapons as they are now...despite their being more available then. It's the mindset of Americans that has changed, not access to guns. And I don't believe that everyone who shoots up a public place such as a school is "crazy" or "deranged." They have enough presence of mind to inflict pain on the families of others that they decide to kill. They also know that if you aim a loaded weapon at a fragile human body, it will likely kill them. If they were 'crazy," they'd walk into a police station or a meeting of the National Rifle Association (places where people are likely to shoot back) and decide to shoot THEM up, but they wont because they are cowards, not "crazy!" Better than warning systems, we should have armed guards for this new reality. We have armed sky marshals on planes because of 9/11. We have armed guards, in banks, so why not armed guards in schools?

SEXYLADYDEEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We, as a country need to have a more complete understanding of mental illness. It's not a set thing. There are varying degrees. I have a child w/ diminished capacities & know one can be logical & not in an instant. Thank you for contributing.

3. Kim Grbac Diaz profile image74
    Kim Grbac Diazposted 5 years ago

Dear LadyD...having been a teacher and school administrator for 30 years, I'm a believer in good education practice, and as a child advocate and human being I believe in protecting those children we have been entrusted with, to care for and educate.
    I think that having emergency warning systems would be most effective in our war against violence in our schools. Metal detectors, buzz-in systems, and staff "rounds" could all be incorporated. I do not feel that having armed guards is the way to go. Children need to feel safe and protected in an environment conducive to learning. Having an armed presence, I believe, would create fear in students. In this day and age of technology, there are many systems available to create and ensure a safe environment, without adding further fear and threat to our schools and centers of education. Thanks!

SEXYLADYDEEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good to hear from another educator. I too think better precautionary measures would be helpful. Dee

4. ib radmasters profile image61
    ib radmastersposted 5 years ago

It might be helpful but just by itself it wouldn't really be effective against gun violence.

5. profile image49
    fatimadanvierposted 4 years ago

Some schools have 24 - hour active CCTV cameras on their entrance and other areas yet goons are still able to break in to the place. I don't believe that warning systems would be totally effective. It's best that each one (guardians) engage themselves to gun range classes.

http://www.dougsgunstore.com/utah-shooting-range/

working