Do you think the USA military would ever turn on it's own people in general?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Missing Link profile image68
    Missing Linkposted 11 years ago

Do you think the USA military would ever turn on it's own people in general?

I do not believe the USA military would ever turn on it's own people.  I can see a scenario where they are ordered to or where martial law is put in place.  However, USA military rounding us up to be put in camps, etc I just cannot imagine.  I don't think it could ever happen.  I think some of the military would comply but I think most would not.  I think instead the military and other government officials would overthrow the acting government.

2. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

If a condition is reached in which martial law were declared and the President issued orders detailing such structure, then the military would likely go along on the premise of restoring order.  On that basis, steps taken within and justified as a result of martial law could well lead the military to engage in rounding people up collectively.  This is far more feasible than a scenario in which the President just orders to the military to do something to the people out of the blue with no basis or justification.  Certainly, the majority of Americans do not believe anything like that could ever happen here...just as they believed about the 9-11 tragedy.  The wrong people in the right positions can open the doors for some realities that we cannot even imagine as a people and the all nurturing government that so many hover around in the name of "security" just might be on the other side of the equation at that time. Food for thought....~WB

3. LandmarkWealth profile image66
    LandmarkWealthposted 11 years ago

Today...No.   However, nobody knows what the condition of the nation will be in 30,50 or even 100 years. This is why perserving individual freedoms is so vital. Don't ever assume you are so safe that something like that can't develop.  Remember the Nazi were first elected to power.

4. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

The federal government has used the military against Americans many times over the course of United States history, starting with the Washington administration. One of those was on a full scale, the rest ranging from small to midsized actions, but the result has been consistently the same. Despite occasional individual reluctance, even resignation, the army has just followed orders and let the politicians sort it all out later. There is no reason to believe it would behave any differently now.

5. safiq ali patel profile image66
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

It  would be classed as a coup and a military that is violating the rights of its citizens to live without violence or death. But that sort of military activity is already sweeping the world where some armies are turning against civilians or people.

6. jr_leatherneck profile image60
    jr_leatherneckposted 11 years ago

The military has rounded up people in the past.  Native Americans were placed on reservations.  Asian Americans were arrested and put in camps during WW2.  I'm sure the military didn't see these people as their own.  My answer would be no, the military wouldn't turn on it's own people.

1. viveresperando profile image63
      viveresperandoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not saying that our government has not made mistakes in the past. But reality is our military follows orders and let's D.C. deal with the ripples.

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

Well, cops obviously would. Why wouldn't the military? I have tons of military "friends" on facebook and all they ever talk about is how much they hate the American people and our institutions. They don't feel connected to the nation. You also have to remember that the military itself is also deeply divided internally. The Air Force, Navy, and Army don't agree on anything and there is a vast bureaucracy of DOD agencies and defense contractors. Also, the officers and enlisted troops do not like one another.

1. viveresperando profile image63
      viveresperandoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I grew up military, still have family in the military and it is always the same ... it depends who you ask.  Those are very general statements about the military and I am sorry this is the only side of the military that you have been exposed to.

8. viveresperando profile image63
    viveresperandoposted 11 years ago

Our military follows orders from our government.  Does that mean it would ever turn on us?  No, our military at this time, is a made of soldiers in different branches made up of individuals that have volunteered.   They are a part of us.  The "us", non-military includes the soldiers loved ones, the soldiers families, the soldiers friends, the soldiers communities, they would be turning on themselves if they turned on "us".  I don't foresee this happening.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)