To what extent do you agree with this statement?

1. Lanzskie profile image77
    Lanzskieposted 5 years ago

To what extent do you agree with this statement?

'More and more people are getting their news for free online, while fewer and fewer are paying for a newspaper. This means that the standard of journalism will inevitably suffer.'

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I agree and it doesn't bother me. Most Americans in the US were never very good at recognizing that our print news was simply a capitalist republic's version of propaganda (prior to the internet). The Soviets, by contrast, knew that their own papers were nothing more than propaganda and they were good at reading between the lines to get at the heart of a news story. The NYT, considered the most respected paper in the US, represents every presidential administration and puts forward the government's past 60 years of foreign policy in a positive light of altruism and necessity. The only dissent came in the details of whether we were capable of achieving our great plans or if we were going about it the right way. But the course was always portrayed as noble. All other papers take their cues from the NYT. So today we have the internet where everything is at least questioned or discussed. I'm not sure it gets anywhere, but it's easier to hear broader and more dissenting views via the internet.