jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are there any Conspiracies which peak your interest? Perhaps might even find bel

1. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

Are there any Conspiracies which peak your interest? Perhaps might even find believable?

2. sparkleyfinger profile image91
    sparkleyfingerposted 5 years ago

I have some intest in the theory that Kurt Cobain was killed rather than killed himself... This is simply due to some aspects which don't make sense, such as he would have had to pull the trigger with his toe, and he was wearing converse... Stuff like that...

3. Mike Marks profile image75
    Mike Marksposted 5 years ago

I find many conspiracy theories entertaining/interesting.  I was the king of conspiracy theories back in the 70's when I was trying to clear my mind of every belief I had ever been indoc-ed with.  I found myself swimming in possibilities no one else could/would agree to, there were so much less conspiracy theorists around back then, I found myself alone with my ideas until I lost track of what the common belief system was.  Ideas that today make best selling authors, filmmakers, and radio hosts, ideas from digesting computer chip memories to living in a virtual world to historical coverups, only landed me into jail cells.  To walk and function freely upon the streets again, I had to remember the common belief system and learn to sound, once again, like everyone else, while knowing those "possibilities", those "conspiracy theories", were supported by logic.  I had to understand logic and critical thinking fluently in order to think about the possibilities without divorcing myself from the common order.  So now, I understand everyone's conspiracy theory but am critical when they embrace them as "knowings".   We "know" little, though we may "believe" a lot, and we may support our "beliefs" with well thought through reasoning, but too often "reasoning" is just "pattern recognition", and if you've ever taken an IQ test you'll know that the highest scorers on IQ tests are people who are very good with pattern recognition, but who may be less good with critical thinking, with understanding the difference between knowing and belief, and therein lies the truth of the old saying "there's a fine line between genius and madness."  One tool I recommend for those who would explore possibilities is to not use the word/concept "believe", rather use the word/concept "speculate".  And understand there are several forms of truth "1. workable truth 2. useful truth 3. coherent truth 4. relative truth 5. logical truth", and conclusions may conform to one of those five and not the others, while in the meantime, I speculate, humans' capacity to reason and observe is too insufficient ever to know Absolute Truth.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

Most conspiracy theories are nonsense and far to elaborate to be logistically possible.  However, TWA Flight 800 that crashed of the coast of Long Island is one I do partially believe.  There is no evidence that the Gov't took down the plane and harmed it's own citizens.  However, numerous witnesses say they saw a rocket strike the plane from the ground.  I personally know two people of the 40 or so who witnessed it.  One from a fishing boat and gave testimony to the FBI.  The story was never reported as such. 

Several years later a close friend of the family who worked for the NYPD's counter terrorism intelligence program told us that he was called to a meeting just after 9-11.  He was informed by a military general that they knew the plane was shot down with a shoulder fired missile, and they believed that al qaeda operatives were testing the response times and techniques of the local emergency services.  The story was covered up as to not create a nationwide panic.  And there were several other attempts by al qaeda to do the same to other planes across the country both before and after 9-11.  But many were thrawrted or simply just missed the target.  Pilots were told not to discuss having been shot at.   

There was no conspiracy in terms of the gov't conspiring to harm it's citizens.  However, they seemed to cover up the actual events that took place to prevent a panic that could greatly impact national commerce.  Which, while I can understand the desire to hear the truth.  Sometimes we're better off not knowing, and let them do their jobs.  Today all over Long Island there are hidden devices to detect radio active material on roadways leading into NYC.  My law enforcement friends routinely drill on this to prevent a dirty bomb from entering the city.  I am sure they have numerous other techniques that they don't tell me about.  But most of the time, if the facts are left out, it's because they don't want a public panic.  I guess that can qualify as a conspiracy, at least in the sense of misleading people after the fact.

working