jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

"We're all well armed up here." If you were a criminal, would this make you find

1. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 5 years ago

"We're all well armed up here." If you were a criminal, would this make you find unarmed targets?

The Mayor of Big Bear said this earlier today when speaking in reference to the possibility that  the ex-cop Christopher Dorner could be in Big Bear. My first thought when I heard this was that it had to be a diversion because I've lived in Lake Arrowhead and visited Big Bear and made a few friends that were very well armed. I would think the ex cop would know this and not be there long, if he was ever there at all.

2. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Of course. If you are robbing a place, always go where people are unarmed. But I'm not sure about running from the police. That requires different options, possibilities, and completely changes where you would stay. If he planned his revenge, he already had chosen a place where he knows the police will not usually look. He knows the system, what they think, where they normally search, their methods, etc. He could honestly be almost anywhere. It's a dangerous situation when one of their own turn.

3. d.william profile image75
    d.williamposted 5 years ago

I doubt that very much.  A criminal is no longer concerned with whether their prey has a gun or not, as long as they are carrying one themselves..  Using this as an excuse, or justification, for there to be no laws governing fire arms is rather hollow.  Most criminals prefer there to be no one home when they burgle houses.  If they go into your home with the intentions of harming you, it would make no difference whether you had a gun or not.  Chances are, the burglar would have a bigger and faster gun than yours anyway. 
    Every criminal has their own motives and methods of crime, and most are crimes of opportunity, or planning, not pillaging and plundering. 
    The mayor making that statement intended to divert the criminal from there by attempting to invoke fear in him, but any accomplished criminal would not fall for that ruse.

1. Express10 profile image89
      Express10posted 5 years agoin reply to this

It seemed like they Mayor stated the the obvious but I agree that it would probably not instill fear in anyone that is not afraid of dying. As for gun laws, I'd rather not have them whittled away, they only apply to those who abide by the law.

4. CrescentSkies profile image86
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

It's not whether or not they have a gun it's are they prepared to kill another person if left in that situation? If you try and threaten a killer or a burglar with a gun they'll simply take your gun...and kill you with it. It doesn't matter if they're well armed unless they're completely prepared to shoot and kill the threat.