jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What would happen to Republicans if Rubio would change parties?

1. IDONO profile image80
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

What would happen to Republicans if Rubio would change parties?

Republicans are looking to him to be the savior of their party. i.e. State of  Union rebuttal. They threw him under the bus. He is young,smart and dynamic, but it's like the Yankees putting in the batboy in the 9th inning of the world series. He's not ready. I felt bad for him, but he was over his head and he knew it. But being loyal to his party, he went through with it. The Republicans are so obsessed with the next election, and loss in the last, they already have all their eggs in one basket. Republicans; ask yourself, " What if he jumps ship?"

2. tsadjatko profile image58
    tsadjatkoposted 5 years ago

Jump ship? Why would he do that? - you think the Democrats would put him up for anything important? If he were to jump ship then he is certainly not the candidate anyone thought he might be.The only serious question is will he go down with the ship, cause we all know the Republicans are adept at scuttling it.

1. IDONO profile image80
      IDONOposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Weren't people asking the same question of Ronald Reagan? I'm only asking "What if?" Do I think he will? No.

3. junkseller profile image83
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

Same thing that will happen to them anyway. The Republican's problem is the sign at the entrance to the stadium which says, "No women, minorities, students, workers, intellectuals, non-Christians, or poor people allowed." Did I miss anyone? It doesn't matter who they put up to bat. Put Jessica Alba in a bikini, it wouldn't matter. The stands are vacant and empty stadiums go out of business.

I don't know whether Waterboy is smart or not, but I don't see why he'd be seen as a savior. His message was the same ridiculous Republican rubbish heap that the GOP have been shoveling at us for years (decades really (in some cases centuries)). He's welcome to jump ship. I for one sure as heck am not going to throw a rope to him (or any of them). The sooner they, and their tired, failed ideas, are sucked down into their vortex of stupidity the better.

1. IDONO profile image80

I don't know about all that, but Republicans need to find the cure for chronic tunnel vision. They seem to have lost sight of things when they allowed that cloud of resentment over the last election, get in their way. They seem like a desperate bunch

4. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

It's not likely he is switching parties unless he is not a true believer in limiting the role of Gov't.  The fact that people critique his speech because he needed a drink of water rather than address the substance of his speech shows how pathetic politics has become.  This type of pathetic focus is why the sheep are allowed to be led around by the nose by the media into believing that people who believe in limiting the role of gov't must somehow be a racist or bigoted. (Even though Republicans have far more often appointed women and minorities into cabinet level positions) Few people are actually listening to substance.  The reality is the Rubio to date has demonstrated himself to be a fairly strong advocate for limiting gov't.  Until he shows otherwise, which he may do, I could care less how many drinks of water he needs.
    His biggest problem is he comes from the Senate.  And generally speaking congressman have no experience making individual decisions that they have to be held accountable for unless they have held a prior role in the private sector or state govenership.  That often leads to terrible leadership, as we see with our current President.   Electing someone soley based on charisma with little experience is something to be cautious about.  Unfortunately, many Americans don't vote on policy as recent elections have demonstrated.  On specific policy positions Obama was losing in nearly every area.  Yet, he sounds good and people like him personally so they vote for him.  Many Republicans think Rubio has the same charisma and consider him a leader based on that alone.  I think he is a natural leader as well, but I am more interested in his policy positions.  Not the hollywood like obsession with someone's haircut, walk, the shape of their chin, or how much water they drink in a speech.  Because should he run for higher office, he won't have the mainstream media in his back pocket like Obama does.   In all probability Rubio would not win a primary anyway and more likely be a VP candidate at best in 4 years.

The attraction to Rubio, is that a large number of hispanics hold very conservative values and agree with the GOP on many issues.  But oppose the way the media has been able characterize the position of conservatives on the issue of immigration.  They home that Rubio can better articulate the position without the media being able to distort the message by speaking directly to hispanics. That will make him a lightening rod for the mainstream.

1. IDONO profile image80

I'm not knocking Rubio at all. Or the substance of his speech. I'm knocking the Republican party. I wouldn't take my son out of the middle school choir and have him do half time of the Super Bowl next. That's what they did to Rubio. Don't over-think

2. LandmarkWealth profile image80
      LandmarkWealthposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They didn't do anything to be critical off.  He is someone that hopefully holds conservative values and is very charismatic and well like by his constituents.  That makes him a very good choice.  I personally thought he did fine.

working