Changing, Evolving, Maybe Devolving of the US 2-Party System

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 9 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/16619158.jpg
    In response to cultural times, have many in the Democratic & Republican Parties become more extreme?   If so, how?  Have the Democratic & Republican Parties i America become more extreme due to many of the sociocultural & sociopolitical issues surrounding American society?

1. Sharlee01 profile image85
      Sharlee01posted 9 months agoin reply to this

The perception of both parties becoming more extreme is a complex issue, in my view, and opinions on it may vary depending on individual perspectives. Historically, both the Democratic and Republican Parties in the United States have experienced shifts and changes in their ideologies over time.

Regarding the idea of parties becoming more extreme in response to cultural times,  some arguments can be made. There has been a noticeable increase in political polarization in the United States over the past decades. This has led to a widening gap between the views of the two major parties, making them seem more extreme to each other and the public.

The country has witnessed intense debates over various social, moral, and cultural issues, such as immigration, healthcare, LGBTQ+ rights, gun control, and racial justice. These contentious topics have further divided the parties and fueled extreme positions on both sides.

The rise of partisan media and echo chambers on social media platforms has contributed to the reinforcement of extreme views within each party, pushing all further apart.

Party primaries often attract more ideologically extreme voters who play a significant role in shaping the party's platform and candidate selection. This, in my view, can lead to candidates who reflect the more polarized views of their respective party's base.

The practice of drawing electoral districts to favor one party over the other has been criticized for contributing to extreme politics. Safe districts may lead to a focus on appealing to the party's base rather than seeking broader support.

I feel it is important to note that NOT EVERYONE within a political party may hold extreme views, and many individuals may still identify with a party while disagreeing with some of its positions.   Additionally, political dynamics can change so rapidly due to events, and shifts in public opinion.

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Both political parties are all about populism now IMO. They both accuse the other party of elitism. They both challenge democracy and its principles. They both seek power and dominance by deceiving their base with fancy trinkets and flashy lures cast to catch them in their nets for their votes.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
        gmwilliamsposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Well said, well said indeed.

2. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 9 months agoin reply to this

TSmog, how has  Democrats and the Left threatened the Democratic process to the extent of Trump and the Republicans?

The threat and its extent  from one side is far more  complicit has been deliberately minimized.

1. tsmog profile image84

Your measuring, I am 'not'! I was taught if true, always true. Both parties in my view attack free speech and freedom of expression. Free speech and freedom of expression are fundamental to democracy.

From the Christian Science Monitor found is:

"At this bitterly polarized moment, those lines are particularly fraught. People on both the political right and left have struggled to navigate ever-evolving interpretations that are sometimes unfamiliar, sometimes at odds with one another. But in general, both sides in their own ways have begun to emphasize why government authorities, private businesses, or college administrators should more tightly regulate, if not suppress, certain kinds of public speech.

The battle lines are asymmetrical, with Republicans aggressively using new state laws to curtail protests and courses of study. Liberals, meanwhile, have relied predominantly on societal pressure to cull speech they find offensive or hateful. The result is that the ideals of free speech are being simultaneously reshaped in profoundly different ways by both ends of the ideological spectrum, challenging notions of free speech that not long ago were widely considered bedrock.   

“It appears that the commitment to free speech is increasingly endangered in contemporary American society,” says Anthony DiMaggio, a political scientist at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania."

Why free speech is under attack from right and left  by the Christian Science Monitor on July 1, 2021.
          https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/ … t-and-left

1. Sharlee01 profile image85
            Sharlee01posted 9 months agoin reply to this

Amen

2. Credence2 profile image78

The Christian Science Monitor has been a good and impartial source of journalism. But the author is attempting to make equivalent concepts that are anything but equivalent comparing the Right and Left in free speech issues. Let me explain.

“Younger lawyers nowadays are asking two questions,” says Justin Hansford, director of the Thurgood Marshall Civil Rights Center at Howard University in Washington. “If you have a limited pool of resources – and you do – why spend those resources on a point of pride as opposed to spending them in areas that will help bring about a reality closer to what your true vision is?”

While the younger attorneys may well be asking the questions, the ACLU still defends "freedom of speech" in principle and in actuality. And not taking ideological positions. When have liberally oriented organizations actually deviated from this?
            ------------
            "Such problems on American campuses are real, says Kenneth Lasson, a professor of civil liberties and international human rights at the University of Baltimore School of Law. “Those with opinions that might challenge campus orthodoxies are rarely invited, and often disinvited after having been scheduled, or shouted down or otherwise disrupted.”

I am a student at UC Berkeley, why if I were a college administrator would I invite Rush Limbaugh to speak? He may well be disinvited because there were not enough students to provide an audience. I can't explain the behavior of students not giving common courtesy to anyone who is at the lecturn, but that does not mean that I have an obligation to be there or to listen if his lecture were abhorrent to my values and principles.
            ----------
            "In a 2020 survey, HxA found that 62% of sampled college students agreed the climate on their campus prevents them from saying things they believe, up from 55% in 2019. And students across the political spectrum expressed reluctance to share their ideas and opinions on politics, with 31% of self-identified Democrats, 46% of Independents, and 48% of Republicans each reporting reluctance to speak their mind."

Discomfort is not the same as being legally prevented from speaking whatever your opinion happens to be. Of course, if you go around singing the  praises of Rush Limbaugh or Adolf Hitler in Berkeley, you are going to feel uncomfortable and not particularely popular, who would not be surprised?

----------------
            To be continued....
            Now let's look at the Right

During the past year, Republicans in 20 states have enacted some 36 new restrictions on the right to peaceful assembly, with 58 new bills still pending in other states across the country, according to a tracker at The International Center for Not-for-Profit Law.

Florida, along with Oklahoma and Iowa, have also passed new laws giving immunity to drivers who strike protesters. States including Arkansas, Tennessee, and Texas have added new penalties for protesting near pipelines and other critical infrastructure, among other new restrictions. Other states have increased the fees necessary to obtain permits to assemble for a protest.

----------------
            How do you give blanket immunity to drivers striking protesters without considering the intent of the driver?

As long as public thoroughfare is not interfered with or the group has a permit, there should be no issue with peaceful demonstrations and protest, but that is not the way of the Rightwinger?

What is the purpose of increasing fees for legal assembly, as laws are on the books against the desecration of property? The Right, as always, resists any form of dissent from its agenda, and don't want any expression, otherwise.
            ------------

"Now there’s literally laws being passed ... to stop people from thinking and expressing ideas about race and racial justice at these very same campuses,” Professor Hansford says."

"Republicans in 26 states have introduced bills to restrict teaching critical race theory or limit discussions of race and social justice. Nine of these states, including Florida, Idaho, Tennessee, Texas, and New Hampshire have passed such legislation."

"Last week, too, Florida Governor DeSantis signed a bill meant to stand against the “indoctrination” of students in public universities. It requires administrators to survey students and faculty about their viewpoints. The stated goal is to discover “the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented” in public institutions and whether students and faculty “feel free to express beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom.”

So why are we LEGALLY limiting discussion and the free exchange of ideas? Is American history to be reduced to fables and folklore? George Washington cuts down the Cherry Tree or American slavery defined as immigrant workers who obtained beneficial skills while being given free room and board? That CRT threat is just so much BS and is a smoke screen. What was Lord DeSantis' explanation? We cant discuss these issues in such a way as to make certain students uncomfortable? Who cares about their "discomfort", history is not pretty.  That is a pretty broad highway, don't you think? Which is another way of saying that this history is not to be discussed at all.  He enshrines it all in Florida Law, where has the LEFT had as much gall?

In conclusion, from where I am sitting, DeSantis is both an indoctrinator and a tyrant. Also, that the Right's assualt on free speech rights is far worse relative to the Left, in comparison.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thanks for replying, Cred. I appreciate your position. Again, I am not measuring or counting how many offenses have been made by the right or the left or the severity. I am simply stating both sides are attacking freedom of speech and expression. True is true.

As for the rest of what you shared, yes, I would use the word disgusting in some cases, yet that does not in any way discount what the left is doing in principle in 'my' mind. Free speech is free speech. It should not be under attack by anyone or any movement or any political party or faction thereof. [Period]

Edit: I got bored watching TV and poked about online. The following article may be of interest to anyone about free speech within our society today for the average Joe/Jill voter. It was by Siena College Research Institute published on Mar 21, 2022. The title: 84% Say Americans being Afraid to Exercise Freedom of Speech is a Serious Problem.
              https://scri.siena.edu/2022/03/21/84-sa … s-problem/

An excerpt:

“Not only do a majority of Americans say that they restrict their free expression but 22% admit to retaliating against or harshly criticizing another person because of something that they said, and nearly half, 44%, think that people that they know have not told them what they were thinking in response to a comment so as to avoid conflict,” Levy said. “Our survey describes a country that rather than being a marketplace of ideas, is one in which many of us walk on eggshells afraid of how others will respond to our opinions or simply to ‘not get into it’.”

3. Credence2 profile image78

I don't think that it is extreme for the principle of one man, one vote to prevail. I think that it is extreme for one political party to usurp the Democratic process, nullifying my vote as amongst the majority merely because it did not want the other candidate to win. I think that it is extreme for a man under multiple indictments, to attempt to nullify the Constitutionally mandated process based upon his own unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud.

And, In the face all of that, I couldn't care less about drag queens.

The party that is guilty by far is the greatest threat to the Democratic process and must be resisted at every point.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)