jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What do you know about Libertarians?

1. ibbarkingmad profile image83
    ibbarkingmadposted 4 years ago

What do you know about Libertarians?

In a sentence or two, please share that you think Libertarians are/believe. If you are a Libertarian, I am open to hear what you believe.

2. Marsden4 profile image83
    Marsden4posted 4 years ago

I think libertarians are a mixture of people whose hearts are in the right place, and some whose hearts aren't.

Some of the libertarians have great ideas about civil liberties; others seem to be mere puppets for big corporations and the wealthy, rallying against taxes.

1. ibbarkingmad profile image83
      ibbarkingmadposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I leave the interpretation of the punctuation up to you the reader. Some people view libertarians & Libertarians as the same group. While others do not. I just want to know your impressions & what you know/think you know about them.

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 4 years ago

You've asked specifically about the Libertarian Party, not small-l libertarianism. My impression of it is that it's populated by sincere, but impractical, idealists who share only a single firm belief about the good society: no person or institution in one may initiate violence without a strong response from the rest. That includes government.

1. Marsden4 profile image83
      Marsden4posted 4 years agoin reply to this

In the UK proper punctuation has ideologies given lower cases, but people's ideologies capitalised. e.g. communism and Communist.

The asker never specified the party in the question, aside from the picture. Perhaps a clarification is in order?

4. LandmarkWealth profile image81
    LandmarkWealthposted 4 years ago

There are some differing views within libertarian ideals  Bu I believe a true libertarian is someone who simply places a great deal of emphasis on liberty.  Liberty in terms of political, social and economic freedom.   Most libertarians are in favor of limited gov't, yet not zero gov't.   They are focused on liberty, yet not anarchy.  They are more classic liberals.  Yet there are those who do interpret  libertarianism to such an extreme that they are true anarchist.

5. Cw Sanders profile image57
    Cw Sandersposted 4 years ago

The life lesson Libertarians aren't mature enough to understand:

“Liberty may be endangered by the abuse of liberty, but also by the abuse of power".” - James Madison
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Yes, it is one lesson.) 

This is written by an ex-Libertarian:
    “Libertarianism is to authentic conservatism what Barack Obama is to 19th century liberalism” http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/12/ … z1i5mU4gpM