jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Should Scotland become an Independent Country?

1. Mathewson profile image79
    Mathewsonposted 4 years ago

Should Scotland become an Independent Country?

I am interested in what the Hubpages community thinks about this. Especially with the referendum coming up next year.

2. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 4 years ago

I believe it is time for Scotland to have her independence  and I think the Scottish people will vote that way next year.

Mathewsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I hope they do vote yes. Thx for the answer.

3. Mr. Happy profile image81
    Mr. Happyposted 4 years ago

I leave this up to the Scots. As they wish! And on my part, I wish them all the best!

4. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

Well, as an Englishman who lived for five years in Scotland I'm totally intrigued by this issue.
    Scotland should become independent and if I was Scottish I'd vote with the SNP. Scotland should have total control over its natural assets and should give itself the chance to compete independently without always kowtowing to Westmonster demands and bureaucracy.

Just think, whisky oil and gas, haggis raspberries and smokies....salmon, neeps and drambuie.....tweed ad water, electricity....the exports are incredible. Oh and bagpipes and scottish actors..not sure if these are taxable exports....

There are one or two minor constitutional issues to iron out but that's no problem in the long term.

However......living in Scotland allowed me to get the inside news on the Scots...and I fear that the bourgoise majority love their comforts too much and will err to caution....

I fear the cautious majority will vote NO to independence. Sean Connery, sorry. SNP sorry, back to the Braveheart Plan No 2.

Well thanks for the great answer. I am half Scottish and would vote YES for number of reasons including most of what you have said. I believe that in this era of globalization and human rights, Scotland should be indepedent. Check out my hub on it!

2. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
      Mazzy Boleroposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I note that when they needed billions of British taxpayers' money to prop up Bank of Scotland, support for the SNP mysteriously dropped - only to rise again when they saw the possibility of cash from Scottish fuel deposits.

5. Anna Haven profile image83
    Anna Havenposted 4 years ago

Yes, I am Scottish and I would like to live in an independent country.
    I hope that it happens, but I think that chef-de-jour is right and it may sadly not be forthcoming, but you we shall see.
    Good question, I will check out the related hub.

I also sadly believe that the Scottish people, we be vote mainly No, but my hope is that the so far 8-12% undecided and some of the against will go for Yes at the end and maybe the dream will come true. Hopefully! Thanks

6. PositronWildhawk profile image78
    PositronWildhawkposted 4 years ago

An independent scotland would gain very little from independence, especially if it intends to apply for membership in the EU. The laws of the EU would function in the same way as laws of the UK, in that scotland has to follow them. More importantly, the hassle involved in switching currencies to the Euro may be too much for the scottish economy, which would otherwise be tied to a pound sterling that the British don't approve of their keeping.