Now with one of the Boston Bombers dead and the other in custody, how well do yo

1. DowntroddenInDC profile image83
    DowntroddenInDCposted 4 years ago

Now with one of the Boston Bombers dead and the other in custody, how well do you think the media

handled coverage? Throughout the whole ordeal I often wondered if we've become a lynch mob society where a person is 'Guilty until proven innocent' and that we were all OK with the 'shoot first, ask questions later' mentality.  Also, was anyone else disturbed by how quickly Boston turned into a police state?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 4 years ago

Having just finished watching "The Central Park Five" on PBS, I was concerned that they were just grabbing at whoever they could to "close" the case quickly.
    I hate the way the media just repeats things over and over and over again, until the point of it's just verbal diarrhea. The local Boston channels were obnoxious. I actually watched it on the BBC news. It's calmer, and they are much more professional about it all. They report the facts, without all the hype and drama.
    I think the police state was somewhat necessary considering the crime that had been committed.

3. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

Living in the area, I'm under the impression that people who don't live in the area and (understandably) may not have been watching local coverage pretty much every minute anything was being covered (between Monday and yesterday) are missing a lot of the details that we, in the Boston area, were aware of as the minutes between Monday and yesterday unfolded.

I only watched two of our local stations over the last several days, and I'm incredibly impressed by, and appreciative of, their coverage.  So many of those people with local stations have grown up in, and live, in this area; so they weren't just aiming to tell their own community what was going on, but they had to be thinking about their own families/friends etc. at the same time.

They were getting minute by minute information interrupting them as they kept trying to report whatever up-to-the-second info they had been given a few seconds/minutes before.  They had to keep things THAT up-to-the-second because people in the neighborhoods most involved were in the homes and getting their information from those local news people.

It was a whole different ballgame for national and/or international media.  How any of them handled it, I don't know because (as I said) I only watched what I needed to watch as the whole situation was going on. … index.html