jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is the price we pay for low cost goods and services too high? How can we change

1. Lizam1 profile image82
    Lizam1posted 4 years ago

Is the price we pay for low cost goods and services too high? How can we change the exploitation?

The recent deaths of workers in Bangladesh and the plight of temporary foreign workers used for cheap labour begs the question about how the west exploits vulnerable populations. The shirt on my back is NOT worth someones life.

2. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 4 years ago

Don't buy the goods on offer from the companies that use such labour. I always try to buy British first then consider other options when i cant find what i want.
    Since adopting this policy i have found the things i buy are of a much better quality and if i cant find what i want then i don't buy it.
    Iknow that the computer i am using probably has parts made in countries that have no regard for workers safety and that some of the things i already own are the same but if we all started to send the message to the companies that employ such manufactorers that don't care about their workers there may just be a change.

Lizam1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Silverspeeder, I am doing this too and letting my friends know that I make those choices and the reasons why.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

No, the shirt on your back is not worth someone's life, but until other countries value life, and the contribution of their work force, very little will change.

As a protest we can certainly not buy those goods but will that make a difference? There is alway someone that will step in and patronize these factories.

I suppose we really need to start in the school and at home, teaching children that all life has value and that all human beings deserve to be treated with respect and not exploited.  But will other cultures join in?...I hate to be pessimistic but I doubt it, many cultures value systems, view of human, and animal life is a totally different sensibility than ours.

Lizam1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have travelled extensively. I do not know one culture that does not value a human life.  However those cultures are often ruled by terrible and henious dictators or governments supported by the west.  I agree start change in the home and don't buy.

2. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It would be more accurate for me say "individual's value systems" rather than "culture's value systems." In the US there were 784,507 abortions reported to the CDC in 2009. We are a culture that does not value human life as much as we should.

working