jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Is it time to replace Federal taxes with a National Lottery?

1. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Is it time to replace Federal taxes with a National Lottery?

The Internal Revenue Service has come under heat for targeting specific non-profit organizations for bureaucratic harassment. Not long before this the IRS came out and boasted they were using their resources and power to read personal emails of taxpayers.

My question: with what often seems the "lording it over the serfs" attitude of the IRS, would we be better off to get rid of federal taxes (thereby nullifying this branch of the federal government) and replace them with a National Lottery in order to generate revenue for the country?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8011187_f260.jpg

2. thegecko profile image78
    thegeckoposted 4 years ago

I didn't realize this was something we've been waiting for o.O

1. bethperry profile image92
      bethperryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

thegecko, I first heard of the idea years ago during a discussion my parents had, and since I've heard friends speculate on it. So yeah, some may have been waiting.
      So, what's your opinion on it?

2. thegecko profile image78
      thegeckoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Turning the tax system into a lottery would make it completely voluntary and I doubt could bring in the income necessary to fund our government resources. It would probably take a grossly disproportionate amount of money from lower wage earners.

3. galleryofgrace profile image79
    galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago

My personal opinion: The IRS is the largest group of inept, illiterate humans  in The United States. After preparing taxes for others for over 30 years and seeing the disgraceful way they cheat hard working people I refuse to continue to support such a group.  While a lottery may be the answer, the powers that be will find a way to cheat the American people the same way the lottery is doing now!

4. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 4 years ago

the lottery is gambling for people who cannot do math,... the odds of their being intelligent life within our own galaxy are better than that of winning the lottery,...

because of the gross unfairness of the poor and working class supporting the lottery system in general, I don't think that a national lottery is the replacement for the federal IRS,...

I do however think, that the federal IRS could and should be completely abolished in favor of letting the states and their already existing depts. of revenue collect the federal tax, and simply turn it over to the fed annually..... no more giant weapon in the hands of feds,... no more federal big brother,... and, just FYI,... if you dismantle the IRS, you have destroyed the one and only branch of government that can enforce Obama care,..... interesting?

working