jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What can you say about the government gathering info on phone calls and Internet

1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 4 years ago

What can you say about the government gathering info on phone calls and Internet online activities?

Is this justified?

2. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 4 years ago

When Amendment IV of the Constitution, found in the Bill of Rights states, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized", I would say that they are not justified. These actions are neither reasonable or based in probable cause. They not particular in their targets. As Benjamin Franklin said, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Any security gained by the loss of liberty is temporary at best and a step toward tyranny at worst.

3. Dr Jerry Allison profile image81
    Dr Jerry Allisonposted 4 years ago

Unfortunately, the Patriot Act passed under George Bush gave the government the authority to gather this information.  This act was upheld by the Supreme Court.  Maybe it is time for the Patriot Act to go away.

4. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 4 years ago

All I can say is, if you aren't doing anything wrong, what's the big deal? Greg

1. Rochelle Frank profile image95
      Rochelle Frankposted 4 years agoin reply to this

In a way, you're right, but the founding fathers didn't like British troops coming uninvited into  homes and invading personal space (and even taking up residence)without having any good reason. One reason for the 4th amendment - of Bill of Rights.

2. gregas profile image81
      gregasposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's a whole nother situation there Rochelle. There are certain circumstances today that the government can take over your hame for certain things. Greg

3. Lee Tea profile image92
      Lee Teaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Our laws are not my guiding light.  I don't want to be forced to adhere to government laws, and punished for not doing so, when I'm confident the laws I abide by resonate in good conscience.  I don't care that they listen - I care that they punish.

working