jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is one ever justified 'googling' someone's name without his/her permission? Expl

1. Arthur Windermere profile image82
    Arthur Windermereposted 8 years ago

Is one ever justified 'googling' someone's name without his/her permission? Explain.

2. alittlebitcrazy profile image54
    alittlebitcrazyposted 8 years ago

Yes- if there is anything on the internet about the person being googled, then I say fair game, the internet is an open book for any interested parties. Yes, it is kind of stalkerish, but who hasn't done it? I've googled my own name out of sheer boredom once, just to see what came up. Also, I would rather someone just googled my name than really SPIED on me, in bushes behind my house or drove by my property slowly. It's a little creepy to look for someone online, yes, but innocent at the same time. And this person really doesn't know either.

Yes also for a professional search. If the person being googled is trying to obtain a job, scholarship, or some other type of position, it's fair to do a search. The googlee should be honest about who he/she is - if there are shinanigans on the net about this person, or any kind of negative information that is factual regarding their background, that will tell the searcher something about the searched person's character. However, the searcher must remember to take the information found with a grain of salt, and make sure the information, again, is indeed factual, before basing decisions on it.

What is your opinion?

3. advisor4qb profile image79
    advisor4qbposted 8 years ago

Yes.  It is public information.  If a person wants to locate someone they have not seen in years or find out about a person they are about to get involved with, the internet can be a very handy tool.

4. Queen_Kevyn95 profile image52
    Queen_Kevyn95posted 8 years ago

if it's on the internet, it's public info.  therefore, a freebie. anyone can see it, even you.

5. Mr. Happy profile image81
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

If you are on the net perhaps you're worth looking at ... so let everyone benefit.

6. Wealthmadehealthy profile image60
    Wealthmadehealthyposted 8 years ago

I am not understanding "justification" here.   Anything and everything is fair game is you want to google it.  There is just no way justification is able to enter into it.   
    I googled my self and found out there were many people with the same name I have.  I was unable to believe this so I clicked on a lot of them...They never knew.  Again, what is the point in this question???

7. Daniel Carter profile image74
    Daniel Carterposted 8 years ago

Yes, most information found on a person on the internet is public information, and that person gave permission in most cases for it to be disseminated publicly. News articles, interviews, professional releases, etc. In other cases, where the person in question may be a suspect for a crime or other unscrupulous behavior, news media usually report it to the public.

In the end, most often it seems this public information can help any person do a little detective work on another person they may not know well, but are considering further interactions.

8. pmm349 profile image75
    pmm349posted 8 years ago

Absolutely yes. Not only is it public information, but it lets you learn about someone. Whether it is a famous person, someone you want to hire as an employee, or your child's teacher; it is important to know about someone. It is not like you are opening their mail or listening in on their phone calls, you are just seeing what the whole world can see.