jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What actions are your employer taking to get ready for ObamaCare 2014?

1. harmony155 profile image69
    harmony155posted 4 years ago

What actions are your employer taking to get ready for ObamaCare 2014?

Is your company letting go of your hours and hiring more part-timers to eliminate benefits once ObamaCare rolls in 2014?

2. jstfishinman profile image61
    jstfishinmanposted 4 years ago

Employers are waiting to see what happens, especially with the president backing off on the Start to 2015. What is interesting is all the unions that voted for these people, scurrying  around like cockroaches to not have Obama care effect them. They don't care whether the rest of us get stuck with it though.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

True, js. If only all the liberals would move to one place and have it their way. Then they could leave the rest of us alone!   smile

3. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 4 years ago

No changes that I can see, but we are close to the 50 employee threshold, so a company like the one I work for could consider making moves get below that threshold.  But I doubt they will because they really need people to get the work done, and it's not anything that can be done part time.  Our healthcare is already a high-deductible plan, so it's unlikely anything is going to change in 2015 (not 2014 anymore).  One thing I am wondering about is if I can opt out of the expensive plan offered by my company and buy healthcare from a state healthcare exchange?

harmony155posted 4 years agoin reply to this

2015? I guess I haven't been keeping up with the latest.

4. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 4 years ago

the owner of my company decided to contract out an entire department and another department is soon to follow in order to get and keep us under the 50 employee threshold,.... its been nerve wracking at best and down right disaterous on certain days,.... i work in HEALTHCARE, and we are turning the world upside down in order to avoid having to give employees HEALTHCARE,..... behold the wonders of irony.

That is sneaky! But I guess employers have to do whatever to sustain themselves  sad

2. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, harmony155...small businesses are vital to the American economy and way of life. Small business is hard enough, without the added and unnecessary strain of government dictates.

5. LandmarkWealth profile image81
    LandmarkWealthposted 4 years ago

The employers that will make most of the changes in terms of staffing will be those that are small business owners in the service industry like restaurants where the employees are economically expendable and can work 20 hours in McDonalds and 20 hours at Burger King.  Otherwise it's the enormous compliance burden that will weigh on them.  That will just drive up costs in other areas.  The more you devote to compliance, the less you can devote to other resources such as other investment opportunities.  Sometimes it's not what you will be doing, but possibly what you won't be doing.

6. SOBF profile image78
    SOBFposted 4 years ago

My company is actually increasing full-time hiring. We offer extensive health benefits and don't project the cost to be overwhelming in any way. I think you folks are confusing using health care reform as a excuse for cutting payroll cost with health care reform actually being a major problem to the employers bottom line.

You bring up a good point, thanks!

working