Does George Zimmerman have the right to sue the State of Florida, for racial dis

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Ashleign profile image83
    Ashleignposted 10 years ago

Does George Zimmerman have the right to sue the State of Florida, for racial discrimination?

Was George Zimmerman racially profiled?

Is there a double standard on racism?

2. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 10 years ago

HAHAH no.

He was taken to court, the case was kept in trial by the judge, the jury had a very long deliberation on the issue.

That is the justice system.

Ashleignposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now wait a minute. There are some that believe he should have never been taken to trial. Therefore, he may have been racially discriminated against for being white.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

If George Zimmerman is smart, he'll change his name, move to a different country and lay low for a very long time....

Had he done that, he may not have been able to save those people from that burning motor vehicle collision.

2. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Burning vehicle? I heard it was a bus full of black orphans and he flew in with a red cape. Let's all get together and sing, "For Ze's a Jolly Good Fellow." How about Man of the Year?

3. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol...some people just can't let it go...

4. profile image0
    Klevi M Fushaposted 10 years ago

Yes, he absolutely does. The case was originally dismissed and he was set free. At that point, if he were a black man and Florida state decided to reopen the case, the streets would have been filled with "anti-racism" demonstrators who claimed that the state was trying really hard to incriminate a black man even though he was originally found innocent. It's disturbing, really. Zimmerman is not a racist, he has been a victim of reverse racism. I even wrote a Hub about it... http://klevimfusha.hubpages.com/hub/Is- … t-12060614

5. LandmarkWealth profile image68
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

I don't know about filing a suit against the State, since it is hard to prove that he was indicted based on racial bias...although probably true.  He should certainly file a suit against the networks for altering the 911 calls to make him sound like he was targeting a kid for being black.  Just because they fired the sacrificial lamb who did it, doesn't negate the impact the media had on shaping the narrative.  That was their intent the whole time, but the doctoring of the 911 call was just the way they got caught.  He certainly deserves restitution.  I am not sure, but he may have already begin pursuing that one. 

Plus since Ms Chantel claims that Trayvon thought he may have been  a "gay rapist"  he may have a lawsuit for his civil rights being violated.  If he was punched in the face because Trayvon thought he was gay...that qualifies as a hate crime.  If his family sues Zimmerman in civil court...which they will...He should file a counter suit against them since Trayvon was a minor, and they are liable for his actions.  If they're son assaulted someone because he was believed to be gay...They could be liable for him committing a hate crime.

Interesting answer! I really did not think of it that way.

2. SOBF profile image61
      SOBFposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a big difference between being gay and being a gay rapist stalker.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image68
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing that allows you to assault someone because that's what you think they are.  Just the mention of him being assaulted for being gay makes it a hate crime. That didn't fit the media narrative of Trayvon they created.

6. SOBF profile image61
    SOBFposted 10 years ago

He should have the right if he doesn't...after all he only shot a killed a teenage child. You know what? O.J. should be able to sue on racial bias charges also and how about Casey Anthony, sounds like a good gender bias case there.

Shot and killed a teenager, that was assaulting him. Given the same circumstance. If you were in fear for your life, would you not do the same? Would you just lay there and let someone kill you?

2. SOBF profile image61

No Ashleign I would not shoot and kill someone who was assaulting me. Especially if they only did the damage that Zimmerman had. Zimmerman injuries were by no means life threatening, not to mention that his entire story makes no sense.

3. profile image0
      Klevi M Fushaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Of course you wouldn't kill someone who was assaulting you... behind the safety of your computer screen. It's so easy to sit at the comfort of your home and fantasize about what you think you would do in that situation.

4. SOBF profile image61

Klevi - Contrary to what you want to make Zimmerman out to be the man had a gun. He could have simply held the kid at bay until police got there. He did not have to pull the trigger. I also find it very juvenile when people make assumptions.

5. profile image0

And how would you know what I make Zimmerman out to be? I'm not defending the man. I think he's a violent, paranoid psycho. With all due respect, you're the one making juvenile assumptions in this situation, sir.

6. SOBF profile image61

You are contradictory in your argument. First you say I'm hiding behind the safety of my computer because I wouldn't shoot but then you say Zimmerman is a violent, paranoid psycho because he did. I am not assuming you just changed your stance.

7. profile image0

Not contradictory at all. That's how you're interpreting what I'm saying. I'm not defending his actions, I'm simply criticizing your hypothetical, unfounded  argument. You have no idea what you would do in that situation because you weren't there.

8. SOBF profile image61

During my life I have been in more than enough altercation to know that they should never end in death.

9. Ashleign profile image83

Okay.. Let's everyone just calm down. The jury has deliberated, the trial is over. Do you believe that racism exists on both sides of the fence? Or do you believe that racism only effects blacks and not whites?

10. SOBF profile image61

The answer to your question is actually in the definition of the word.

7. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

Charging someone with a crime is only racism if the charge is brought due to the person's race. Florida did not act because of Zimmerman's race. They acted because of his actions: stalking a young kid with a gun, then shooting and killing him.

It isn't unlike the defense used by people in Zimmerman's favor. Many people argue that Zimmerman didn't follow Martin because of his race, but rather because of Martin's alleged behavior and the context of a neighborhood with recent crime. To so exonerate Zimmerman and then turn around and think he can levy such a charge against Florida is simply bizarre.

No. They took him in, and released him after it was deemed self defense. He was then brought in a second time due to public outcry. Black Panthers offered a reward for him to be brought to justice.
      And.. then they found he was hispanic.

8. stanwshura profile image71
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

The state of Florida might as well have worked in cahoots with this glory-seeking coward.  How on Earth has he been profiled?  He definitely profiled Trayvon Martin!  "Black teen-aged male in a hoodie!  Look out!  Time to clean up the riff raff,   upstanding hero that I am!   Da da DAHHHHH!   One more bag of skittles off the streets and Gotham City can rest in piece!"

Oh, wait.  The one resting in piece (God willing) is Trayvon!  The only rights Zimmerman should have are the right to rot in prison for the rest of his life, and to rot in hell thereafter.

9. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

He should have some kind of recourse against the Feds for pushing the trial on the state, who wasn't going to charge him and had found that he acted in self defense.
    However I don't see any racial aspect to it. If he could show that X number of similar cases were considered and no charges brought when the crime was black on black / Hispanic on Hispanic / black on white, etc he might have a leg to stand on,,, but I doubt it.
    His best shot would be malicious prosecution or something like that. There is also the withholding of evidence that the prosecutor did, and should be disbarred for.
    That said do believe that he was racially profiled. Had this been a black who shot Martin under the exact same circumstances it is very unlikely that it ever would have gone to trial.
    As LMW said he might have a slander suit against the networks for altering the 911 calls.
    Were I him I would definitely move and consider changing my name, I would never be unarmed.
    The justice Dept. putting a hold on the return of his gun is pure BS. Hopefully he has another since he is in much greater danger now. It was very courageous of him to come out of hiding and save those people in the collision! He took a big chance to save them I hope all will go well for him but I doubt that he will ever be safe in FL.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)