jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is or is not the phrase "of color" almost or just as out of date as the word "co

1. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

Is or is not the phrase "of color" almost or just as out of date as the word "colored"?

Was listening to a bit on 'NPR about the Boston police supervisor who is alleged to treat black officers differently than white.  The broadcaster used the term "officers of color".  I'm just wondering if that is out-dated and off-putting or even... 

What does the hubpages community think?

2. BigJulesMags profile image83
    BigJulesMagsposted 4 years ago

From the friends I know, its more of an annoyance than it is anything that would infuriate.  Preference is different depending on the individual, though.
    Some folks prefer to be called "black"- simply because the African-American nomenclature leaves out so many Americans that consider themselves culturally black but are from different nationalities.  Others like African American.  I'm sure of color is alright to some people as well. 
    The truth is, the labels we come up with for races are descriptive of physical features and are often ill-fitting of the super-blurry (and continuously merging) cultural boundaries we have. 

It looks like soon, we may just all be individuals. 

I look forward to that day.

stanwshuraposted 4 years agoin reply to this

As do I, BJM.  As do I!

3. xanzacow profile image71
    xanzacowposted 4 years ago

I think the terms "of color" and "colored" are just plain silly. Does this mean that other races are transparent???

stanwshuraposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Lmao.  RIght???

working