jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Is there a citizenship controversy brewing over Ted Cruz and illegal immigration

1. profile image60
    retief2000posted 4 years ago

Is there a citizenship controversy brewing over Ted Cruz and illegal immigration?

No less than the New York Times has trouble with Ted Cruz's citizenship status.  It does not, however, have trouble with the citizenship status of millions of "anchor babies" born to illegal aliens on American soil.  So now, it appears that the New York Times, beloved tome of the left, believes that being born to an alien mother on American soil is a superior position than being born to an American mother on alien soil as a condition for citizenship. Is this a reasonable position?

2. cfin profile image81
    cfinposted 4 years ago

All I know is that the US needs to get its act together. I am foreign, my wife is American, and our daughter was born in the US. If she had been born in my country of origin, she would have had a lot of trouble re entering the United States and hey would have taken pleasure in emptying our pockets. My country, for our purposes is on a par with the US. I have spent approximately $8,000 in the last few years for my green card, even though I am here legally and work hard. I feel that if I was not an honorable person, we would never have stayed here as my wife wishes to leave but I don't want her family to hate me. I regularly receive abuse for being foreign, am told that my daughter should have to carry a passport around with her and am treated like dirt. For a country of immigrants, Americans sure are ignorant and elitist.

Then again, its like homophobic's. Their fear comes from their insecurity. In one breathe they curse me, and in the other they obsess over their origins and if they are Irish/German/Dutch. What a joke!

Moral of the story is, people in the US need to get their act together. Who cares where his parents are from. Americans don't have a DNA type, they don't have common genetics or some united bond. You all hate your government, so lets skip the "we are the United States" talk because really that is nothing more than a chunk of land your European ancestors stole from the natives.

Maybe when "Americans" stop listening to foxnews and CNN talking trash and actually just accept that immigration happens, everything will be fine. The only difference is, current legislation holds back educated hard workers like myself, but poor people will still come in illegally because the US is better than their country. It is, however, not better than mine. And something Americans don't seem to understand. People from rich countries don't want to come to the US. People laughed at me for moving here.
    People like me, who actually stick up for the US would help the US build for the future, but oh yeah...that's right....I get treated terribly for being foreign.

1. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting. Generally here in the US we do not overly generalize, based on our own experience. How in the heck do people know you are foreign? And why do they think your daughter is foreign. And people who hate you for following your life?

2. profile image60
      retief2000posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are the kind of person America needs.Illegal immigrants jump the line and politicians want to short change all those who obey the rules.My grandfather came from Ireland because of the American promise, legally.I have a crush on a foreigner.

3. cfin profile image81
      cfinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@Eric, People know I am foreign because of my strong Irish accent from the moment I meet them. They think she is foreign because I am foreign. They also think I am illegal because I am foreign.
      @retief, in 2013, Ireland really is the same as the US

4. profile image60

Well then, God Bless Ireland.

5. cfin profile image81

Same TV shows, Music, attitudes, standard of living and the closer trans Atlantic neighbor. Here is an interested light hearted article
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rory-fitz … 84952.html

6. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wow cfin, you should come out west, we do not have that here. All my wifes friends don't just have an accent the actually speak their foreign language, Viet. If we thought a guy was foreign because he spoke Spanish - Wow we would have problems. Move!

7. cfin profile image81

Wow....my spell check really messed that up smile Anyway there has always been jokes of Ireland joining the US. The issue being, Ireland already hates being part of the EU and just cant be part of anything but Ireland.

I would love to come out west smile

3. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

I think it really stinks. And is just amazing. The New York times has over 20 foreign bureaus. 100's of foreign correspondents. And they come up with this? Their disconnect is worse than congress and the American people. I have no idea if my mother was here legally when I was born. Hey maybe I should look into that there may be some benefits I could get for being an anchor -- I assume they get some kind of aid ;-)

1. profile image60

Cfin, no need to go west just move into my neighborhood. Hard to count the nationalities in my church.

working