Should panhandling be illegal?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. IDONO profile image61
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

Should panhandling be illegal?

There are stores and businesses I truly will not go to because they are so annoying and very aggressive. Should it be outlawed?

2. PoeticFailosophy profile image57
    PoeticFailosophyposted 10 years ago

Business owners who let their panhandler problem get out of control are idiots and if they lose customers over it, they deserve to go out of business.  There are humane ways businesses can deter them -- and there are ways that are inhumane.  I don't think it should be illegal if they are respectful and not aggressive.  They are just part of life if you live in the city.  If I give them anything, it's usually a candy bar or something.  Don't give them money.

1. IDONO profile image61
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm in Akron, Ohio. Not big at all. There is a chain of gas/convenience stores that makes no attempt to stop them because they know these people will spend their proceeds there on beer, lottery or cigarettes. They don't care where money comes from.

PoeticFailosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I see.  Sometimes telling the business owners why you refuse to give them your business will make them change their policies.  If it's a large chain, I doubt corporate knows that the local management is letting them bother customers.

3. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

Only if they outlaw overworking and underpaying people too; or treating people like slaves and forcing them to struggle for basic needs. Among other things that are actually a major problem.

1. IDONO profile image61

At the same time, that overworked, underpaid person that works for their family should not be subjected to the harassment of a lazy bum that's begging for his next drink or smoke. This is not a management issue.

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You would change your mind if you were the one asking for a hand out and being degraded by judgmental people. Since people are generally short-sighted they won't see that the issue is bigger than just being annoyed at a beggar. Too bad we don't see.

3. IDONO profile image61

Nate: If I were disabled and had to ask for help, it wouldn't be at the corner drive thru. There are places for that. The people I speak of are not disabled. This is not a judgement call. It's a glaring fact. They subject themselves to degradation.

4. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years ago

I understand they tend to be aggressive in big cities like San Francisco. I had one instance where I didn't respond, and the woman insulted me. That's nothing;I read of a story where one man told a panhandler, "I'm sorry, I'm poor too," and the panhandler chased him down the block! I even heard a case over the radio where some people going to a concert parked their car in a parking lot, and a threatening-looking panhandler told them, "Give me a quarter; I'll watch your car."  All the radio announcer could say was, "Be glad you got off for only a quarter!"
    Some businesses in San Francisco and Berkeley give cards to customers which list charity organizations, and tell them to give those to panhandlers instead of money. Some of them can be quite menacing; in such places, it probably should be outlawed.

1. IDONO profile image61

I love the ones that ask for a handout while holding a $400 I Phone and wearing a $250 pair of Air Jordans.  Or, the dreaded "extra change". If I have "extra" change, I'll give it to my grand kids toward college.

PoeticFailosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol, we have the panhandling iPhone kids too.

5. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

That must be uncomfortable to go to a store where people are acting aggressive.  We don't have that problem here that I've seen, except for the inner cities.

What we do have are people who stand on the grassy middles of multi-lane roads.  Sometimes they have pets with them.  They hold up signs saying they'll work for food.

6. RealityTalk profile image61
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

Why not.  Cheating taxpayers out of hard-earned money seems to be an acceptable practice by our governing elect.  Panhandling is certainly less costly to all.

7. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 10 years ago

We have that problem here.  Even they are outlawed the government cant do nothing about it.  Sure they sometimes show to the public that they will round them up but then what they will be set free in a couple of days.

With no better alternative for panhandler they have no choice but to go back to what they are doing.

Stores and businesses try their best to get rid of them but for me unless the government step in with a more permanent solution it will never stop

8. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8417339_f260.jpg

It's is ALREADY illegal: So grow a spine and be thankful you are not homeless, out of work and living on air because these people are using the right to free speech.

Wiki quotes: Poor Laws prohibited or regulated begging from the Renaissance to modern times...According to a report by the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty that examined 188 cities, there was a 7 percent increase in prohibitions on begging or panhandling between 2009 and 2011. ,,,Panhandling on public transportation can get you a year in jail in Medford, Ore. .... Homeless advocates and the American Civil Liberties Union consider begging to be free speech, protected by the First Amendment.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image78
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In the 1980s, it was in the news that an elderly homeless man was fined $10 for digging in a dumpster. I believe he should have torn up that ticket and thrown it in the cop's face. If he went to jail for it, at least he'd have shelter!

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Love it! Very well-said, ptosis.

3. IDONO profile image61

Say Yes: I agree 100%. But that man's motive was survival and he wasn't stealing. Most in my area are motivated by a can of beer or bottle of wine. Our town is saturated with pantries and meal sites. No one goes hungry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)