jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Is a rapid expansion of the safety net a Democrat accomplishment?

1. profile image60
    retief2000posted 4 years ago

Is a rapid expansion of the safety net a Democrat accomplishment?

Over 700,000 Americans of employment age left the job market last week, while we are told that 200,000 new jobs is a success story.  Hundreds of thousands more Americans are taking Medicaid.  Tens of millions of Americans are under employed and taking food stamps.  The expansion of the number of Americans no longer able to take care of themselves is the chief accomplishment of 5 years of Obama.  Lefties call this a success story.  Is it?  Really?

2. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

It was perhaps poetic, that I read this and at the bottom were "tips" to lose belly fat. They fit right together. We even want to lose fat without working. Sad.

1. tsadjatko profile image61
      tsadjatkoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

lol Eric - when I opened the question at the bottom it says Free Medicare Plan..The thought Medicare isn't free didn't register but I scrolled down a little more and the next line said "List", Free List of Medicare Advantage & Medicare Part D Pla

2. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Too fun. Now mine reads about legal documents. Might be an omen I should stop libeling 50% of our population. Then again truth is a defense.

3. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

Democrats would call a larger safety net a requirement, not a success. If more people are falling, a larger net is required. Conservatives seem to want an insufficient net due to some misguided notion that people hitting the ground hard will be some sort of useful life lesson. It isn't, it just hurts.

Unemployment is a political outcome not driven by those on the left. Many on the left advocate for full employment. Welfare and the like are only unfortunate necessities designed to combat the destruction caused by those who care about profit above people. Marx worked this out, in essence, a long time ago and we are still ignoring it.

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are correct in that for the most part unemployment is a political outcome.  This problem is always reported, but nothing much is being done to correct the problem.  I guess when your making the big bucks unemployment is just a minor issue.

2. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The larger the "safety net" becomes, the more people will "jump" into it. I don't deny that welfare is helping many people survive, but creating a more plush and comfortable welfare system will encourage them to stay put...not return to a job.

3. profile image60
      retief2000posted 4 years agoin reply to this

More people are in need because of Democrat policies.  Those policies are all about getting more people hooked on the Welfare State.  Food Stamps, Section 8, Obamacare are all about bringing more people out of freedom and onto the reservation.

working