jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Is it wrong that I find homosexuality odd?

1. JRScarbrough profile image89
    JRScarbroughposted 4 years ago

Is it wrong that I find homosexuality odd?

It only seems logical that a heterosexual would find a homosexual to be a strange thing.

I don’t have those feelings or those desires. I am predisposed genetically to not understand a feeling I do not have. Does that make me bigoted or just subject to my own internal makeup?

The term bigot is overused don’t you think? Don’t gay people think heterosexuality is strange too? It isn’t an insult not to be able to grasp someone else’s way of thinking is it?

2. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

It isn't a different feeling. It isn't a different "way of thinking". It is the same feeling, the same thinking, just a slightly different object (emphasis on the slightly). Mostly it is just two people in love.

Even so, there is nothing wrong with finding someone odd. I find lots of things and people odd. What matters is how we treat people. I actually enjoy the oddness of people and the strangeness of the world. That's a choice. Some people, however, choose, to treat those who are 'different' as less than human. That's also a choice.

So, go ahead and find it odd, but then CHOOSE to treat people well.

Or, be a Phil Robertson buffoon.

1. JRScarbrough profile image89
      JRScarbroughposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great answer! You see, my point is, we don’t have understand some things to be nice to the people who live how we don’t understand. If something is unfamiliar to us, we probably should be free to express how odd it is to us without it being bigoted.

2. junkseller profile image84
      junksellerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I mostly agree, but at the same time, due to historical (and continuing) mistreatment, gay people have some justification in being defensive, so such conversations require a degree of tact or run the risk of being met with affront.

3. profile image70
    jmark13posted 4 years ago

Maybe someone already wrote about this because I haven't researched it but I think that to understand homosexuality, one would have to understand a type of narcissism. The type that when not developed, is very aggressive and concentrated. The lustful desire for the same sex is considered unacceptable and to have that desire for the same sex is exhilarating.  You would have to understand that, to understand it.

4. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

JRS......I could have asked this identical question.  Inwardly, I have always found it "odd"...in a "scratching my head sort of way.."  I'm sure you know what I mean.  I simply was not able to wrap my brain around something that was foreign to me, my sexuality and my way of thinking. 
    Yes, I did feel badly about this and always tried to find ways to understand.  I don't thinks it's "wrong" of us....but it's simply a misunderstanding, I think. 
    It would surely be WRONG to judge them, treat them differently or be offensive.  I could not and would not do that to another human being, based on a difference that I simply didn't understand.   I've had long talks with homosexual friends....people I think the world of......and I wonder if they find heteros odd.....too!  I just wish everyone happiness & peace, no matter their choices and lifestyle.
    Good question!

5. brakel2 profile image81
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

Homosexuality is a relationship of two same sex people. It can extend all the way to marriage. It is not odd to have no understanding of this union when you are not so inclined. I believe to some extent that it may be genetic and/or learned behavior. I have a cousin whose mother raised her son as a girl. She let his hair grow long and curly and he mostly played dolls with his girl cousin. I think he ended up with an identity problem. The sad result is that he commited suicide. I have no bad feelings about homosexuals, and am very accepting of them. Different is not bad. Certain religious groups believe they will go to Hell, but God loves everyone. We need more love in this world of today.

working