jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do people value knowledge more now that is easily accessible?

1. suraj punjabi profile image87
    suraj punjabiposted 4 years ago

Do people value knowledge more now that is easily accessible?

Back in the days before the internet came around, learning new things and getting new information was not even near as easy as it is now, do you think this has changed how much we value knowledge and information?

2. mgeorge1050 profile image80
    mgeorge1050posted 4 years ago

I think people value knowledge less and less as technology advances.  In the past, people learned through life experience and passed their knowledge on to others.  It took effort and time to gain knowledge, making it very valuable. Nowadays when you want to know something, you just search for it on the internet.  This takes little effort or time, which seems to somehow devalue the knowledge gained.

3. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

Definitely young people value knowledge less, precisely because it is more accessible. There is no real work in looking for information anymore.
    Does anyone remember the feeling of looking through the card box in a library, using the Dewey Decimal System, going up into the hot stacks, and finding the book you wanted, the chapter and page you needed to write a paper? It was an exhilarating feeling to have your hand on that information. Who does that now or even knows what that feels like? Nobody. That used to be the experience in finding a valuable piece of information that made your hard work complete.
    Today, Google will do it for you, or Wikipedia. I wrote a funny hub on this subject which was eye-opening to me and the young people I talked to about their easy access to information on the internet.

1. suraj punjabi profile image87
      suraj punjabiposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is sad to see the value of an information go down. There was a time where me and my friends used to have long discussion over what is right or wrong, now Google and Wikipedia pretty much puts a full stop to ALL discussions.

4. Sullen91 profile image79
    Sullen91posted 4 years ago

It's hard to say. The quality of information available on the internet is questionable. The information that is available usually informs people about facts and events. In that sense, the information on the internet is not very conducive to learning and gaining knowledge.

5. KEPitz1005 profile image60
    KEPitz1005posted 4 years ago

Just because the internet makes research and learning so very easy, I don't think it makes actual knowledge less valuable... It's just easier to access now with present day technology.
    I believe that today, with so many more resources at our disposal, learning and knowledge are probably taken for granted more than anything - and there's little to no need to retain anything new that we've learned. We can just simply Google it again to refresh our memory.
    As for me? I LOVE Google, but I LOVE books even more - and nothing beats a great reference book to always be able to read and reread again!
    But - I'm in my mid 50s, so I've gotten my knowledge using the card files in the library and using Google! I'll take knowledge however I can get it because I just love to learn about new and different things.

working