jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Regarding the Independent Scotland vote; Why does everything evolve around the S

1. wilbury4 profile image71
    wilbury4posted 3 years ago

Regarding the Independent Scotland vote; Why does everything evolve around the Scottish people?

The debate today has been whether or not the people of Scotland will be better off becoming independent or staying united. Well what about the English people? Will we be better or worse off? All seems one sided to me!

2. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I have many relatives from and in Scotland, and my feeling is to leave Scotland's sovereignty to the Scots. The natives, from what I know, are capable of identifying themselves beyond the scope of the general EU mindset. If Scotland goes Independent, perhaps it would be possible for the English living there to renounce their UK citizenship and remain in Scotland? I think this would be the right way to go about it.

1. wilbury4 profile image71
      wilbury4posted 3 years agoin reply to this

What I'm meaning is; how will us English people who live in England be affected by the vote? Will we be worse off if Scotland become independent or will we be better off?

2. IzzyM profile image90
      IzzyMposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Why would the English, or any other nationality living in Scotland, need to renounce their citizenship? They will be eligible for dual nationality.

3. IzzyM profile image90
    IzzyMposted 3 years ago

You will a lot worse off without a currency union. Sterling is (at least partly) tied to the oil and is going to sink without it. A CU will put it back into the UK's balance of payments.
    I think England will not notice any difference without Scotland, though you may find yourselves living a lot nearer to the UK's nuclear arsenal, because it is not staying in Scotland, where ever it goes.
    I think the north of England will see an improvement in living conditions, positioned between the two powerhouses of Edinburgh and London. Instead of all the wealth draining south, a lot of it will stay in Scotland with positive knock-on effects for the N of England.

working