jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think the race issues in the United States are a race problem or a human

1. GNelson profile image77
    GNelsonposted 3 years ago

Do you think the race issues in the United States are a race problem or a human Problem?

Take a step back and look at history and the rest of the world.  What about Catholics vs Protestants, What the black vs black issues in Africa, What about the history of war (“There have been only 268 of the past 3,421 years free of war.” - Will Durant).  There is a lot more to look at then what we see in the news every morning.

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I agree that it is a human issue and it is also multifaceted and complex.  There is systemic racism in place in many areas - to deny that does nothing to solve the problem.  However, there are people who believe that every injustice is "racism" when that isn't always the case.  The problem is we have the media who loves to sensationalize and they are making it into a spectacle and fueling anger on all sides instead of focusing on the actual issues themselves and practical solutions.  Denying that racism exists is clearly denial and not rational, but blaming racism for all problems in certain communities is also a form of denial.  There are many houses that need cleaning in our country right now.

3. Old-Empresario profile image81
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

In the US, it's a US problem. The US is a racist country at its core, though it improves very slowly by the decade. We inherited our racism from the British and, unlike the Britons, Americans are not ashamed of their racism. This goes back to the 17th Century with slavery.

4. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 3 years ago

I think it is a human problem because people are more comfortable with others that are similar to themselves, which becomes almost a sum game, i.e. "if (fill in the blank)s are given more rights, that means less rights for me". This goes beyond race and encompasses sex, religion (or lack of), economics (class), ethnicity, and even regions.   The issue comes when a particular group uses this acknowledgement of difference or is perceived as using this difference to dominate another group. This can go for the minority or the majority.

I am a White Christian straight healthy American male who minds my own business and tries to be helpful to every person I meet, yet because I am in the perceived "dominate" groups, I am labelled the bad guy by default. This does not sit well for me, so I do hold some animosity and possibly have been pushed to be a little more biased for self-preservation.This is just a small view into the race problem in the US by my perspective.