jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Should Euthanasia be Legal?

1. CanadaCass profile image60
    CanadaCassposted 3 years ago

Should Euthanasia be Legal?

For many years, it has been a topic of discussion, should people in pain be able to take their own lives and ask for assistance, if that said person cannot ask for help, can someone do it for them? Take the case of Robert Latimer for example, he placed his daughter into a car and killed her with gas because his daughter was going to die soon, and she was in extreme pain... do we have the right to do this? what is your opinion?

2. Zelkiiro profile image93
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

They're colloquially called "mercy" killings for a reason. Taking action to alleviate the pain of others is one of the most humane things somebody can do, and if the only discourse in doing so is to "put them out of their misery," then so be it. You see this all the time with wild animals, like when someone hits a deer and the deer will clearly never recover and/or walk again, so the merciful thing to do is end its suffering.

Now, when it comes to fellow human beings, generally it's more logical that the one making the decision to pull the plug on you is you yourself or a close family member. Precautions are definitely useful with a decision like this.

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

This is such a hot button issue, but my thought has always been that we don't force animals to suffer - we put them to sleep, so if we are of sound mind, why should we not be able to die with dignity?  If I was in extreme amounts of pain and there was no hope for recovery I would certainly be open to the idea of Euthanasia on my own terms.  I have no problem with that - my life, my choice. 

There should of course be stipulations in place, but I have no problem with assisted suicide if the person is of sound mind.

1. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but the problem arises when someone wants to kill themselves, the state considers them legally insane; therefore they are legally not considered of sound mind. Where could they draw the line?

4. girlgamers profile image61
    girlgamersposted 3 years ago

I think that in terms of debilitating illnesses, like cancers, or accidents that lead to a vegetative state, assisted suicide should be allowed, and possibly even written into a living will if possible.  We allow the Do Not Resuscitate orders to be legal, why not Pull the Plug?  If you're going to die a horrible painful death, why not choose to live a shorter, wonderful time and end it before it becomes bad.  If you're going to live the rest of your life being fed through a tube and not being able to wipe your own chin, why live?