Do you believe a public college president should immediately expel students lead

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image79
    brakel2posted 3 years ago

Do you believe a public college president should immediately expel students leading a racial song?

This incident happened off campus and was not directed at any individual and did not threaten anyone.

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Every school, employer, or organization has a right to decide what conduct is unbecoming of those they are connected with.
    People have been denied jobs or fired from them based upon things they posted on their personal Facebook pages. Having said that I probably would not have expelled the students but I would have shut down the fraternity charter.
    Ray Rice was let go from the Baltimore Ravens for hitting his fiancé during his off hours which was caught on video.
    More and more in our society one has to behave as if they're on camera or there is a microphone on them at all times.
    Odds are there is!
    Clearly these students had been taught this song over the years and the elderly "house mother" Beauton Gilbow can be seen on the bus singing along as well. Odds are they were taught the song on campus while they pledged. She said "This has been my life for 15 years."
    I believe the college president's goal was to announce to the world that he was not going to allow acts of racial bigotry within the student body. The football team also did a silent protest to show solidarity.

brakel2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Good answer. Sometimes people act too hastily when they are under pressure to take action. I hope the people who are fired for what they said on Facebook and students who are expelled are given due process. They probably need to consult attorneys.

3. profile image60
    retief2000posted 3 years ago

No. The stupidity of people is enshrined in the Constitution. People have a natural right and a protected civil right to say stupid things.

4. B. Leekley profile image93
    B. Leekleyposted 3 years ago

No, he or she should not.  Whatever the institution and whatever the circumstances, guilt or innocence for committing an infraction should not be decided by one person and certainly not on the spur of the moment. A due process procedure should be followed.

Does the college have a covenant in which all administrators, faculty, staff, and students agree upon norms of behavior? Are grounds for expulsion clear and does the expulsion procedure include an opportunity to refute accusations?

5. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

No, I do not think the president of the college should have expelled the students. Although the chant was vile and repulsive, expulsion does not address the problem which is the proliferation of bigoted thinking and racial intolerance by old guard predominantly White fraternity members on college campuses.
    The president did what he felt was the best way to send a clear message of zero tolerance. It was politically correct to do so. But I would like to have seen the school make examples of those students by letting them engage in some kind of redeeming activity. For example, writing a paper on the contributions of African-Americans and people of color to our society, along with a public presentation on campus.
    I think they should be allowed to finish their schooling, get their degrees and graduate after completing a mandatory sensitivity workshop about the damaging effects of using the "N' word.

Great answer. OU needs you on their staff to contribute great ideas on diversity. I wish they had meted out a productive punishment for degrading a productive race.

6. Kathleen Cochran profile image81
    Kathleen Cochranposted 3 years ago

I think their fraternity had the right to say, no, you may not use our logo, name, and organization because you did not live up to our standards.  But I don't think the president should have expelled them.  We shouldn't start punishing people for their thoughts and speech.

7. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

From a business standpoint, yes. Having that kind of behavior on campus, and knowing about it, will reflect poorly on future enrollment and donations. From a freedom of speech standpoint, no. It wasn't a direct assault on an individual, it was just talk.

Since the college president had to approach it from the business side of things, he didn't really have a choice.

You are on the side of everyone and I appreciate your good answer to this question.

8. Marie Flint profile image88
    Marie Flintposted 3 years ago

I personally would have been offended if asked to participate in such a song. The people that did are stuck in a quagmire of ignorance. The freedom-of-speech right has been misunderstood and abused. Why do people feel the need to criticize, judge, and put others down, especially without any specific reason or evidence? You say the song did not threaten anyone. Are you sure about that? Was a poll taken after the incident to learn how many people felt put down or hurt by that particular demonstration?

As to outright expulsion, I think that is a bit harsh. I think each participant should account for his or her action and have the opportunity to atone. Forgiveness still ranks high in my book. If, upon questioning, the attitude upon the part of the individual is still poor and without any spark of understanding the repercussions of his action, then, yes, expulsion would be necessary as a last resort. The investigative process and its outcome should be made plain to the student body. ~~~

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)