jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you overcome the fear of stage fright?

1. arnold3211 profile image76
    arnold3211posted 2 years ago

How do you overcome the fear of stage fright?

How does someone overcome their fear of standing in front of a crowd without being overwhelmed with anxiety?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12638834_f260.jpg

2. thegecko profile image79
    thegeckoposted 2 years ago

That's difficult to answer. I'm sure not everyone has public speaking or performance anxiety for the same reasons. I just try to take the consequences out of the equation. I am speaking in front of people because I have information to share or a performance to deliver. I know the material very well. It does not matter so much how I say it, my audience does not have a copy of my dialogue. If I make a mistake, who will really know? If I stumble, for all they're aware, it's part of the presentation.

I take the audience's opinion out of the equation. I pretend I'm not even speaking in front of people and I never make eye-contact.

I take the idea of a perfect presentation out of the equation. I'm just human after all.

All that's left is trying to deliver the most honest performance I can.

The time to judge myself ended once I got up on the stage.

3. promisem profile image98
    promisemposted 2 years ago

I was utterly terrified the first dozen times I had to give speeches because of my job. The first speech took place in front of 200 people.

If you are giving a speech or performing on stage, it's helpful to practice it repeatedly in private, in front of a friend or spouse, or even in front of a mirror. I used to practice mine as often as 10 times.

It won't make the jitters go away, but it can help.

4. Happy Moment profile image78
    Happy Momentposted 2 years ago

My career coach told me that I can fight off stage flight by taking a glass of water before presentation.Then when on stage, first take a deep breathe then greet the crowd to create a rapport and maintain eye contact.

5. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

Yes when i wad young, i had to perform on stage, i looked down all the time.

6. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12639852_f260.jpg

One must understand their material better than their receiving-audience. Then they must convince themselves of this most significantly. Thus, one is the expert and can unravel the thesis of the speech with the confidence of a Michael Jordan, Sidney Crosby... type athlete. If one is not an expert of their material or deep down they do not believe in what they are communicating they will have difficulty unless their state changes. If they do not, it will indeed be difficult to present with confidence and without significant anxiety.

7. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

Don't go into it with a fear mentality. Also, focusing and talking to just one person out in the audience can really help. If someone starts nodding to you, keep going back to them for reassurance (there's usually someone like that in a crowd wishing for you to succeed.) Being passionate about what you're speaking about will also break the ice. Soon you'll be talking about something you're good at, or something you love, and the audience picks up on that, giving you confidence. Everyone stumbles sometimes, and practice really does give you more confidence every time.

working