Hypnotism - have any experience with it?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I'm trying to use hypnotism (downloaded hypno-routines, like tapes) to overcome a couple behavior problems and lose some weight.  I need to stop eating sugar and start eating low-carb diet.  Do you have any experience with using hypnotism for lifestyle changes or dieting or quitting anything?  Positive or negative, I would like to know what other people have experienced.  Too soon to tell for me, personally.  But it seems like it might work.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I went to a doctor (psychiatrist) who did hypnotism. I went to overcome stage fright. It did work for a long while but had to keep up with the exercises she gave me. Self hypnosis was one of them. It's supposed to reinforce the suggestions she gave. After many years, I guess it wore off. I never really noticed it wearing off but I don't have stage fright anymore. Don't know if it was a Catch 22. The power of suggestion allowed me to be comfortable on stage and the more I did it the less fearful I was.

My sister had it down to quit smoking but as soon as she was under stress she started again.

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm wondering if the longer and more you used a certain behavior or substance (sugar - all my life!) then the more difficult it will be to be hypnotized not to do it or use it?  How much longer is it going to take for me to give up sugar since I have never in my life not eaten a lot of refined sugar foods?  I know it probably is all relative to situation and person.

I'm glad you got the results you wanted with hypnotism.  Since you still don't have stage fright anymore, I guess it really worked.

The hypnotist I'm using has a great voice with a Scottish accent, and he kind of makes me laugh, but that's good because it relaxes me.  I may keep using these recordings just to relax because that part of it has been very effective, even better than meditation, for me.

2. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not for anything like that, but I did want to get hypnotized once just to see what it was like, at one of those school events, but I didn't want to get up on stage and act like a goofball. Well, I did get hypnotized, but I still chose to stay on stage. I could definitely understand though, all of the suggestions were like a doorway that I could choose to open up if I wanted, but I didn't.

I could see it having real power to help with changing behavior.

3. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I tried it years ago with a therapist to help self-confidence and it worked a real treat fairly quickly. Undergoing hypnosis in person is far more powerful than recordings.

But I kept it going through tapes he gave me so it became part of my lifestyle and helped me relax.

So I wouldn't say it's necessarily a quick fix but it can have great effects if you persevere.

2. Paradise7 profile image71
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

I tried hypnotism (along with everything else) to quit smoking.  It didn't work.  The hypnotherapist said I had a lot of other issues and that's why it didn't work.  My nerves were just not in good shape.  I was subject to nightmares and bruxism, as well as being very easily startled.  I had (and still have, a little) some deep-rooted insecurities because of childhood issues.  I was a battered child.

I think it might depend on your background, and how well-adjusted you are overall, whether hypnotism works for you or not.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://www.hypnosischat.com/images/hypnosis.jpg

4. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

thanks everybody.  Like every other self-help program I've ever started, it is slow going.  I conveniently forget every evening to leave on the computer and listen to the tapes-  that is, I get into bed and then remember I didn't listen and vow to do it tomorrow night!  Its like I buy the program and then don't use it so what good will it do.  Tonight, for sure!

5. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

We all have our vices.  smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a forum pertinent comment if ever I heard one!

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Especially if you are referring to the right thread!!!  lol

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

6. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I went to a hypnotist after an episode where I nearly died through not breathing. I was diagnosed with a rare condition, retrosternal goitre, where a part of my thyroid had migrated down into my chest and grown there over decades to the size of a small (and rotting/bleeding) melon.

Getting rid of it involved a sternotomy, namely having my breastbone sawn open to remove the rogue tissue.

I am very squeamish indeed. I went to a hypnotist for a couple of weeks before entering hospital. Subsequently, I was able to cope with this surgery and with the ensuing drain, which I think otherwise would have left me on the point of insanity.

1. mega1 profile image80

Thank you for telling me about this - that's what I wanted to hear - some success stories.  I am amazed at the power humans have of using their voice to calm or motivate or incite or anger each other.  And definitely sometimes being reassured in dulcet tones with positive suggestions offer a way to help us overcome behavior or resistance we feel.  I know it works for anxiety.

7. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 12 years ago

I've had a couple of self-hypnosis tracks (downloaded as mobile apps) that I've been using more or less regularly. Must admit, they REALLY work, but it's a slow process.
    Our brain is a very complex structure, which also has a few built-in safety mechanisms. One of them is to avoid a sudden change. Example - a drastic weight loss. It's widely known that the only safe way to lose weight is gradually changing your habits, - anything done in one go (e.g. "no more sweets from tomorrow" or similar) have a huge risk of cravings and falling back to old behaviour.
    Same can be said about quitting smoking - I know a few people who have actually decided to quit on a certain day, and kept to that. For a few months. Then something, - increased levels of stress, presence of other smokers around, etc - took their toll, and both of them are happy full-time smokers again big_smile

The secret behind hypnosis is regularly injecting small amounts of certain affirmations/thoughts into your brain, until it starts accepting them as its own. Normally it takes 2 months to change a habit, so I believe 2-3 months of regular listening to e.g. self-hypnosis track is the right way to go. And do NOT stop after you feel the first results (this might happen even after a day or two)!

I personally LOVE listening to self-hypnosis tracks that have a feature of "no wake up". You just fall asleep after listening to them, and the quality of sleep after that is normally SIGNIFICANTLY better (sleeps like a baby for some 7-8 hours straight smile)

8. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

From the giving up sweets tape and eat healthy tape - I have had only the result that meat now smells really bad to me!  chicken and fish are ok, if they're really fresh, but red meats really stink!  funny, eh!

I'm going to keep trying, because I do not want to get any more unhealthy than I already am.

9. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

My friend tried it for weight loss and had some kind of back lash reaction because she started to crave all the foods that she was trying to stop eating.  It didn't really help her with her diet, but another friend used it to quit smoking and it seemed to work very well.  I think the outcome mostly depends on the individual.

1. mega1 profile image80

I'm sure you're right - it probably depends on your personality, how you use the hypnotism and maybe your mood.  I bet like anything else related to trying to lose weight - you have to be motivated.  The calming sound of the guy's voice is great for relaxing, so that's a plus.  If you have enough discipline to actually play the tapes regularly like you should, you probably have enough self-discipline to quit the bad behavior - I don't seem to have enough self-discipline to make things work  - it sounds so easy to just listen to the guy every night - but, like I said, I turn off my computer before I remember that the hypnotist is on there, and I'm too lazy at that point to turn the computer back on.  BUT, this next week I'm taking a vacation - I'm putting the hypnotism on my Ipod and I'm going to try to remember to listen at least once a day.  In fact, why didn't I just do that sooner?  duh.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

yup, i've been hypnotized a few times...it worked...cool prof at a university was into it...so....i let him experiment..his students were skeptical at first...he had the most soothing voice..

i had periodontal work done that normally required lots of freezing and gas...and at discounted cost...but, i had to let several other folks watch...lol

i'd do it again too!

11. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

Tried it 3 times, once for nail biting and twice for smoking. It failed in both cases, although thankfully I found better ways in the long run to break both these bad habits/addictions, (I should add the hypnotists were different ones, so it was not simply the result of a bad hypnotist)

12. ALUR profile image59
    ALURposted 12 years ago

I think whatever form of therapy one chooses, the person must want it. That's half the success of anything. But will alone is not enough, it takes a whole level of mindfullness and changing habits to reach a goal. I know this as I struggle with smoking, depression and all the man made toxins of today's world.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)